question- pricing for adding binding

Hi!! I have an older lady coming over today that needs a binding put on one of her mother's old quilts that never got finished. I have NO idea of what to charge! Help!! She's coming at 1:00, so any speedy answer will help!!!! THANKS!!! linda

Linda,

If there are no strange problems with the quilt that will cause you more work...such as scallops...then find out the going price in your area. I do a lot of research online. Just look up other quilter's web sites. You will find all kinds of pricing. I don't do bindings because I am way too slow with the hand work. I have a lady that does my binding and she charges $3.50/yrd....which I think is a bargin. She does an awesome job, you can't see one stitch. Well worth the money to me. She does all of my personal quilts too.

Thanks everyone!! She just left. I ended up at .15 per inch. For this area, I think I did ok. She brough a couple to have the binding on. They are just cute old fashioned hand stitched quilts that need the binding. THEN she had one to be quilted..... I'm not so sure about this one!! It is polyester knit blocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:o:o:o:o AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!:o:o:o I told her I would get on here and check that kind of thing out..... I told her I might not do it.... What do you guys think? Have you ever done one? If I did, it would just be a panto. How in the world would you load a quilt that stretches that much???!!!:o:P I'm curious to find out what you all think!! Thanks again!! linda

I stippled the blue blazes out of the couple that I have done, and use a thick thread like King Tut, Signature or something equal....and the same in bobbin. It didn't like the thinner threads like So Fine or Bottom Line. Oh, and I had to use a larger needle...4.0 And the batting was usually a thinner Dream Cotton.

Archived