Sergers

Hi All!

I THINK I want to ask Santa for a serger for Christmas. A good friend of mine is trying to talk me into it, and I have been intrigued with the idea, and the potential of new stitching horizons to be discovered. :P

What I would like from you all is feedback. Do you own a serger? What brand? What do you like or dislike about your brand or sergers in general? What options are must haves? What can I do without, especially since I am not even convinced yet that I need/want one?

The reason I want to ask this question in a long arm forum is because I don't think any of you will have an agenda in selling me on the idea, or turning me off to it. Any help is appreciated.

Guest Linda S

Deanna - I can't really advise you, as I don't have a serger. I've often thought that I would want one, but other than binding the edges of fabric to make napkins, I can't really think of any reason why I really need one. I get along fine with my DSM and longarm.

Linda

Deanna,

Back in my garment making days I used my serger a lot to put a nice finish on seams. If you sew clothes I think you will love having a serger.

These quilt-making days my serger doesn't get as much use. However, I'm glad to have it. I use it to make or repair home dec items (even otherwise good towels whose edges are fraying) and to finish the edges of the 'muslin' practice pieces the come off my long arm, turning them into kitty blankets.

Both my serger and sewing machine are Elna.

Linda/9patch

Deanna,

I, too, have a serger but as for quilting, only use it to bind off those practice pieces to make into animal quilts for the shelter. I have seen some posts where LA's have used the serger that has a cover stitch to serge their quilts to the zippers. It is a quick way to attach and supposed to be easy to remove.

If you do other things than quilting, the serger is great for finishing seams, etc. Look at ready made and how the seams are done.

I have an Elna Serger which does have a cover stitch but is a pain to set up for it, so consequently don't use it.

Char

Archived