vines and swirls

I saw the most beautiful free motion quilting! It was all swirls and vines, with loops and feathers also. I loved it. It was done large, starting with an arc, then dipping and feathering back on itself, then going off in another direction. Wow. Points and arcs and echoing. It was so pretty. Now I want to quilt just like that. Am looking for further instruction, as it was impossible to figure it out on my own. Are there instruction books on this kind of quilting? So far, my collection of books don't show how to do this quilting. I am happy with what I have bought so far: Fritz, Thelen, Taylor, Thompson, Epp, Terry, Clarke, England. I have loads of books on continuous designs, but I want to learn how to do the larger swirls and dips and loops. I don't have a picture, so I hope my words describe the design well enough.

With three family weddings coming up, I need to watch my $$.

Hoping someone has some good ideas for learning this technique,

Judy Z

This is probably not exactly what you described, but....Sue Patten's book has some interesting background fillers in it. Also, just give yourself the freedom to let loose and quilt anything that comes to mind ~ loops, feathers, echoing, etc....you'll probably develop your own style!!!

I had a feeling that this is what I saw. OK, I am going to dedicate some quality quilting time to doodling. What I saw looked so free and fun and fast. The three "f's". It looks easy but I am here to tell you it isn't, LOL. My mind knows what I want to do, but my hands? That's another story. I am going to doodle on paper then take that to the machine. The trouble is, when you start quilting for customers, you fall into a rut. I've been so busy cranking out quilts. Pantos pantos pantos, but I want to be an artist. (whining)

Thank you SandraC.

Judy Z

I was about to suggest Suzanne Earley's 2 books when I saw Bonnie's message. I finally tried her method on a wide border and it was so much fun and looks pretty good. I've only had my Liberty about 3 months, so I haven't done much practicing yet, so it should improve.

Look into Suzanne's books. They may be exactly what you are looking for.

Archived