Bobbin thread leaving a loop

I am using the CL Baptist Fan on a quilt and am having a problem with the bobbin thread leaving a loop on an occasional corner on the backing. I am careful to go slow at the corners and pause briefly and not to bump into the board too hard. The bobbin case I am using isn't very old-probably done about 6-7 lap quilts. I am using King Tut thread on top and bottom.

I am attaching a picture and hope it shows my problem well enough. Does anyone have an idea of why I am having this issue?

Thanks!-- Susan

several people have read...no one seems to know the answer...why do I feel compelled to help?? Here goes nothing!!

Are you having prolems any place else with your tension?

Are you using your stitch regulator?

If not, are you stopping too long in one spot?

I don't know, honestly, what could be causing that. I have never had that kind of problem that I can think of. I don't think it has anything to do with the template. I think it has to do with the way that you are stopping....I think....Sorry, I'm just not sure why it is doing that.

Thanks for replying Mary Beth. I have a Millennium and am not having tension problems anywhere else. The top tension looks really good and the bottom tension is looking fine as well. The backing is black fabric and I thought the blue/green threads would look sharp on the back. But, with the occasional loop at some of the corners, it looks strange.

This quilt is for a LQS and will be hung for the quilt run later in the week. They even talked about flipping back a corner to show off the blue/green thread on the black backing......

Susan

I wish I could help.. I get these now and then too. and not always in the same spot as the blues are here.. but always where I have to either slow to nearly a stop or an actual stop. Doesn't seem to matter if I have the SR on or off.

Will be great to hear why and what to do. Otherwise I either take it out, or I use a pen and color the extra thread, but NOT on customer quilts...

RitaR

Guest Linda S

How clean is the inside of your bobbin case? Is the little backlash spring inside the case bent? It looks to me like you bobbin is over-rotating when you get to a stopping spot. If you've got extra lint or anything in there interfering with it's normal action, it will do that. I'm assuming you're not using pre-wounds, as I don't think King Tut comes in pre-wound bobbins? I can't use prewounds in my machine. Try giving the inside of the bobbin case a thorough cleaning, or replace the backlash spring with a bobbin genie.

Linda

You can't go wrong with cleaning your bobbin case.

If you are getting a loop on the bottom at the corner of the fans, I would think that you are either pausing too long or you are racing to the corner and then slamming on the brakes and the bobbin is spinning so fast that it can't adjust fast enough when you pause at the corners.

It is probably not as bad as you think and just looks more pronounced because you are using variegated thread. I love King Tut but I have never used it top and bobbin. I bet Hester has, though. Quiltjunky is the queen of King Tut.

I had an extra unused bobbin case and popped that into the machine to see if it made a difference. And low and behold no loopies-perfect stitches. I'll be picking up some bobbin genies this week. Thanks ladies for all of your advice. Love this forum. :cool:

Susan

Archived