thread tension for King Tut

Newbie question....

Bottom line in the bobbin & Lava in the top - everything is great - easy to figure the tension. When I change from Lava to King Tut, it seems harder to get the tension right. I feel that I have to have the bobbin and top tensions tighter. Also, there seems to be more pull to the underside on the curves with King Tut. Is this normal? Would it be wise to keep a separate bobbin case set for different type threads? Would I be wise to use a different bobbin thread when using King Tut.

All suggestions are welcome - I know nothing and have to learn everything....LOL

thanks,

Meg:cool:

Lava is a stronger version of King Tut...or let me start again. Lava was designed for certain machines that had a difficult time running King Tut. Soooo, it should be easier to use then King Tut for the most part, I would think. I would think you need to loosen your top tension. If you have checked your bobbin tension and it seems right, and it was okay with the other thread...then go for the top tension.

Meg..I had the same problem here...on my OLDER machine...perfect stitches with Bottom Line in the bobbin and Lava top side....switched to King Tut for the next quilt...same Bottom Line in the bobbin....I had to loosen both top and bottom to get the King Tut to play well with the bobbin thread.

I would just keep playing till you get it right, what worked for me may never work again for someone else or even me when I go back to do the same threads together. I do believe it does have a lot to do with humidity (lack of or to much) and its a daily play thing to get it right. I know that some days I can have a perfect day, not finish the quilt come back the next day...didn't fiddle with anything and the machine won't play well at all....those are the days that I want to throw things.

Meg,

You could have a few bobbin cases for different weight threads in bobbin only. I usually use Bottom Line or So Fine in my bobbin and it's a minor adjustment for those two but having two cases would be a great idea.

for me, as a general rule, I adjust my bobbin tension using the spider drop test method... Regardless of what thread I use on top, and regardless of how much I need to adjust my TOP tension (e.g. moving the knob toward me, or away from me), remember that my bobbin tension is always the same consistent "drop test" so I don't mess with my bobbin after I have it "dropping slowly down" like a spider. I like my bobbin slightly loose, rather than tight. I find that I have less issue with top tension (breaking, etc) if I keep my bobbin onthe looser side. So, just set your bobbin so it's happily dropping like a spider. After that, leave it alone. Then only mess with your top tension. Depending on what weight thread (30,40,50,60 etc.) or what type thread (cotton, poly, etc) you use on top, you will be only tightenging or loosening your top thread now. If you get the loops on top or bottom, your top tension is too loose. If you get railroad tracks your top is too tight. Keep tightening top only until your stitches start to lay nice and relaxed on top and bottom. Keep playing and don't be afraid to give that knob a good twist toward or away from you to make top tension adjustments. Run a long cosistent line to see how your stitches lay. Run a few circles and loops to check for eyelashes on top. Eyelashes mean your top needs slight adjusting (too tight) Pretty soon you will get the knack of it. :) Keep tweaking.

OK and one last thing: Sometimes if I just can't get the top to lay just right, then I pull my bobbin out and retest (usually a tiny tiny adjustment to TIGHTEN it a wee bit).

Thanks for the input. Finally got it right and.........

made sure the bobbin just barely crawled down the thread and then I actually had to tighten the top (King Tut) lots. I tightened until I could just barely see the bobbin thread on top. Worked great and I am much happier. I think that as a newbie, I was afraid to turn the tension knob too much - now I know to just turn the thing and if I turn too much - can always turn back...........

thanks again,

Meg

Archived