Marking Quilt HELP

Tmaus

I have a dilemna...A friend asked me to quilt a top for her. I'm not in business; I quilt as a ministry and give them away to senior homes and they give them to whoever they think needs one. so I'm not as experienced as most people because i work a full time job and only get to quilt a little bit.

This friend made a beautiful top. It is a sampler, each block different. The colors are deep maroon, white, soft blue, soft yellow.

I was talking to her about what to quilt on it and she chose a stencil that was a double heart. When I started talking about marking the quilt she wasn't really wanting me to. I told her to use a stencil I would have to mark it someway. So I played around with different marking pens and decided that the easiest one to see and the simplest one to get rid of the markings was the blue marker. It says to get the mark out use a damp cloth.

The double heart looked terrrible and I told her that would not work. I found 2 stencil that look great. One for the corners and one for the blocks. I marked and sewed 1 corner block and then I had to wait for my extended base to come in. The corner looked good, no marks showing back up. So I sewed a ribbon on the border and I only had to make 1 line for that. then I marked and sewed the other corner. It looked like I got all the marks out of that and the line for the ribbon. so I rolled the quilt forward and then did 2 of the larger blocks. I took the markings out as soon as I finished quilting each block; I did not wait. I went to eat supper and when I come back there are some of the marks showing again.

I have got to mark this somehow but i do not want to have the marks come back. I did try the pounce pad chalk but could not see it on the dark maroon.

Does anyone know of something that will work but not damage the quilt!! I'm a bit desperate right now.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Tamara Maus

I just read this and realized that it was not the maroon that I couldn't see the pounce pad on, I can't remember which color but there was one that I couldn't see it on and i tried the blue also.

Thank you again,

Tamara Maus

I usually use a black light chalk powder in my pounce pad and change the bulb to a black light bulb. It glows green under the black light and you can see it on the light and dark areas. You can pick up the bulbs at home depot or lowes. The pounce powder you might have to order. I haven't ever seen it at the quilt stores.

Thank you so much, I actually posted this in a weird place. I meant to post it on the normal "Gone Quilting...Chat About Anything" But I'm so glad you saw this and answered!!

How does the chalk get out of the quilt? Can you see the chalk on the quilt in or under normal lighting? And how would I change my pounce pad powder? I have 2 pounce pads, a white & a blue.

One more :) Do you know the name of the chalk?

I just bought a little light that attaches to the machine with a long snake like neck. I wonder if I can get a light bulb for that. But the one with the machine would probably be better because it does not cast shadows.

No Problem! I always look under "today's posts" you can see it on the blue bar across the top...that way it keeps me up on all of the forums at once.

Anyway, when I use the powder, I have a separate pounce for the blacklight powder but you can also just use it as your "white" powder too. You can see it on the darks without the blacklight but not the light fabrics so it is just easier to switch out the bulb when you are using it. I usually get mine from "the stencil company" but I can't find it on their website anymore.

Here is a website you can find everything at:

http://www.kmquiltingsupply.com/Parts/BlackLight.asp#Powder

The powder they have may be a concentrated amount that you mix in with your current white powder but dont quote me on that! :)

The bulbs are cheaper (around 6-8 bucks) at home depot..just take out the bulb you have right now with you so that you can get the right size.

The chalk mostly just wipes off but I take a damp sponge across it to pick everything up. Most kinds (you will have to check the directions on each brand) come off with a steam iron (dont use the steam iron on the areas you use the blue marker).

I made a Youtube about taking the BLUE markers off here:

Holly, I could not find any spray at Quilt Works. I bought a spray named Sew Clean by Bear Thread Designs but it doesn't seem to work on anything I've tried it on.

I ordered the blacklight light bulb, the pounce pad and powder and a blacklight pencil. I sure hope I can see with it. I will get those on Wed so I will look at them when I come home from work.

I'm excited!!

Archived