Thread Jam-can't get it out!!

I have thead jammed in the hook. With Dawn's help I finally got the handwheel to rotate. I thought I could get the thread worked loose--but no luck. It was too late to call Dawn back today. I'll do that in the morning if I can't fix it tonight. It looks like I will have to remove the rotary assembly, but I don't know how to do that and can't find directions in the manual. Can anyone help me??

Sherry

Millie/CQ

Hi Sherry,

Try saturating the bobbin assembly with WD-40--really spray it in there. Let it sit for a while and work the hand wheel back and forth . That will soak the thread and compress it so you may be able to stitch. Eventually the thread will work its way out--or you may still need to remove the assembly to get it out. Sorry I don't have a better solution for you.

The removal of the bobbin assembly can be found in the manual under "Timing"--sounds scary but is not. After you time your machine you will be so proud of yourself and tell others how easy it is!

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the help. I have used tons of WD-40 and been working on this all afternoon. When I started the needle was down and the handwheel would not budge. I called Dawn and she helped me until we ran out of time! I finally cut the needle in two pieces to get it out so I could get the handwheel free. I did see the timing instructions in the manual but thought that was only directions for timing and maybe I needed to do something different to get the thread out. If I loosen the screws on the collar will that allow me to get the thread out, or do I have to pull the assembly out? I have gotten out all the thread I can get ahold of but can still see a piece in there. I don't think there is much left. I'm sure I will have to re-time the machine as well as adjust the needle bar?? I will probably just wait until tomorrow and start fresh. Luckily I am not on a time scrunch with this quilt!! The up side of all this is that with an APQS machine you can do most of these tasks yourself.

Sherry

Hi Patty Jo,

Just couldn't get that darn thread out!! Have talked to Dawn this AM and am waiting for a new hook assembly. She talked to Mark and they think the thread has jammed in there so tight that it has bent the bobbin basket or something as you can not turn the hook without the basket turning. I'm really not too stressed out about this--things just happen and it gives me a couple days to fool around with the Autosketch digitizing program that came with the CQ.

I appreciate the kind support from everyone here, and let me say the service at APQS is the greatest. Dawn has been so helpful and patient-and with a good sense of humor, too! This Chat group is tops, also. You know you're never too far from help and a kind word of encouragement.

Sherry

Sherry

Archived