what causes this???

there are so many experts on this site, i'm sure someone knows what i'm doing wrong....

i'm working on a small wall quilt and am using quilters dream request batting. i'm using bottom line in the bobbin and monopoly on top. on the backside of the quilt, every few stitches, i'm seeing some of the batting pop through. i usually use a heavier batting, but wanted this to be very flat, so i opted for the thinner batting. i'm new to this and also wanted to see the effects of different needles. i'm using the MR 4.0 on the george machine.

thanks.

great advice. i changed the needle and that has corrected the problem. i'm embarrassed to say that i didn't realize there was a right and wrong side to the batting. is this true with all batting? i think i see a slight difference, not sure i feel a difference, but if there's a right and wrong, i've got it upside down.

Deb,

I use Quilters Dream almost exclusively and I've never had the problem with pokies with it. There is not supposed to be a right or wrong side on QD but I always look at it and there is a side that has little dipples in it so I put that up. If you have a roll, I open it up and that is always facing up.

My guess is it was the needle, perhaps had a burr on it or was just dull. I have had this problem with Hobbs one two of my quilts and no matter couldn't fix it. It is very frustrating. I think I may have loaded the batting wrong. For that batting it is the rougher side that is against the backing. I just did a tree skirt and not one pokie!

Sometimes a backing will be the culprit. I have even had QD make pokies with a bad backing, and by bad, that doesn't always mean cheap. I've had pokies with lovely Moda. As a last resort, if it doesn't seem to be the backing and you are using a nice batting, in my case, QD, try spraying the batting with starch. I had a really bad case of the pokies and found the starch stopped them.

When I first started machine quilting I contacted the Quilter's Dream company and asked them if there is a right or wrong way to use the batting. They suggested that I use it "with the fuzzy side toward the backing". I actually had this on a post it note near my machine for awhile so I wouldn't forget.

I'm glad you found the culprit and were able to fix it.

Archived