Trouble lining up pattern

qwltnldy

Ok, I am trying to use the Gingko on a quilt with basically a pie/wedge design and I am having a devil of a time making the template line up with the quilt so that the design actually fits well into the pattern on the quilt. I am still very new to the Circle Lord and don't want to think that this has been a colossal waste of money because I'm too stupid to figure out how to line up a silly pattern. I just spent 20 minutes lining it up and it was still off. By 20 minutes I mean that I fiddled around with it, testing it without stitching until I thought I had it. The quilt is PERFECT. The blocks are absolutely square so I know it isn't the quilt. Please help! I don't have time to keep ripping stuff out and I don't want to give up on the templates I spent so much money on!!!

Thanks,

Robin

OK, I lied. The quilt is not PERFECT as previously written. I just ran across a block where the center points don't match and that is throwing the design off noticably. So, I guess I'm going to have to go back and rip out the entire quilt and do something freehand. I'm starting to regret my purchase. These are exactly the types of quilts that this thing would be perfect on, but apparently unless the quilt is 100% precise, it can't be used without looking like it's off some, which is unacceptable to me. Maybe I"m too much of a perfectionist. I really need some help. I don't want to rip out the whole quilt but it's going to be photographed for a new Quilt in A Day book and the last thing I want is for it to be off center like that with my name on it as the quilter. I would think it would be a good advert for Circle Lord too, but I guess not.

Robin,

I have never used the Gingko template so I am not able to help you. Please call Michael and tell him the problems you are having. He always seems to have the solution. I am totally positive that you have not made an unwise decision in purchasing the Circle Lord. I do know that anytime you try to use any tool on a quilt, there is a chance that something will go wrong. Sometimes that design just will not fit, or the piecing is off a smidge and can be like a snowball effect....a little off at first, then a little more and a little more, until you are ready to push your machine off a tall, tall cliff. Please call Michael and let him tell you the best plan of action. Keep us informed. I want to know what happens. Good luck. Sorry I can't help.

Robin - No quilt is perfect. You have to find the center of each square and go from there. I usually use a ruler and go from corner to corner in both directions to get the exact center. That's the only way to make it work correctly. I have used this template very often and never have a problem. Just remember, each square can have it's own issue. I've found squares with about 1/2 inch difference in side lengths. Just relax and have fun. If you think it's a little lopsided, do a stipple or something around the outside of the design and it will hide the problem. Done that quite a few times.

The middle of these blocks is extremely obvious, because it is a pinwheel, but the block itself is pieced in an octagon pattern with stark contrast, so I can't really fudge any lines. It is like Mary Beth said, a snowball effect once you do all the repeats. I did look on webshots, Carol, and found your pictures using gingko and noticed that all of them are done in squares that basically read solid or are in alternate squares where the piecing is not an issue. I think this is just not the right application for this particular quilt. I am ripping out what I've done and will know better next time. I don't have time to call Michael right now but I might later.

If the piecing is not perfect as you said and there is such a high contrast with fabrics then the eye (when stiitched with a matching thread and not a contrasting thread) will be noticing the piecing imperfections and not the stitching of the quilting no matter what design you stitch on it.

There is no such thing as a perfect quilt pieced or quilted and you can't blame the tool for not being able to compensate for the piecing imperfections. Circle Lord Products are very good and allow a novice to do things that only the more experience quilters were able to do in the past and the more experience quilters to do things in a shorter time frame. I don't think you wasted your money in your purchase, you are just frustrated at the moement and dissapointed that the end results is not what you were holping for again it sounds like it's the piecing that's at fault and not the fault of the CL.

Perhaps if you choose to do a design that is not confined to the pinwheel sections but that the design extends a bit beyond the sections it might camoflauge the piecing imperfections and make the quilting more uniform. Just a thought :)

I am sure what ever you decide will make the quilt look wonderful and be worthy of you name as the quilter.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I just finally read all your nice posts. And Joann, you're right about CL being a great product and my being frustrated. Thank you all for listening and offering sage advice. The piecing was pretty good, but I think I should have tried other designs first, like Carol suggested.

I ended up doing a freehand design sort of like continuous curves but making really big "flowers" on it, if that makes sense. It came out OK but boy I hope nobody else gives me one of these again...but if they do, I'll do better next time!

Archived