Soft Touch Batting Question

Isn't Soft Touch a poly batting?

I've never used it before or at least I don't think I have....but maybe, as customers bring in whatever they want.

If it is a poly batting, I haven't ever had a problem with pokies, due to using either side. My pokies on poly batts were usually from a bur on the needle rather than it being upside down....

I dont' think this poly has a skrim...if it does you can see it, by pulling on an edge, and seperating the skrim from the fibers...and the skrim should be up next to the underside of the top.....or at least that's how I use it.

Ann....I would pull on an edge and see if the skrim lifts up.... and then determine which side the skrim is on...I would have that one going up...so the needle is going down through it first.....so it would be top....batting with skrim up and then backing..... But where this one says NEEDLEPUNCHED...it shouldn't have any skrim on it

The skrim is what holds the batting together (like I need to tell you that), and if the needle goes through it first it generally doesn't have pokies...., but I would try it either way and see what you get.

With this one NEEDLEPUNCHED...it should go either directions without pokies. Pokies don't always happen because of the batting...they sometimes happen because of the backing material, if its a harder material (with a tight weave) it take longer for the needle to get through or back up and that leaves the pokie.....try it...I don't think you will have trouble.

I have used many many batts from Fairfield, not sure if this is one of them or not....but have to say, and yes out loud....I don't care for them...if you catch them with even your clothes it will tear, or if you have the batt on the floor and step on it...it tears, and in some cares if you just gently tug on it to get a even feel between the fabrics it will tear as well. It quilts up nicely once you get it into the sandwich, it washes up very well....but just a bit more delicate than I want to deal with.

Also be sure to read on the package to see what the quilting requirements are...I didn't one and didn't get enough quilting on a quilt...washed it AND all the batting went to the one side of each open area...had to take it back out and start over. :(:(

Let us know what you think....

I googled Fairfield Batting, because a customer brought some once....never again will I do that. Maybe there are different types. This is what I found when I goobled

http://www.crittercrafts.com/batting.asp

beside the 100% cotton batting it states that there is no scrim to interfer with needling. That makes sense when I think of that batting that was in my studio. There was lint/fuzz on everything, me, the bobbin case area, the needle bar, the light bar....it was a complete mess. I don't like it.

Thanks, Bonnie, for all your info. I'm glad to know the right way to handle a scrim situation. It seems we spend a lot of time answering each other's questions! Ain't it great?

And thanks to the rest of you, too. Don't want to leave anyone out!

Somewhere I read that W&N 100% cotton isn't 100% cotton because it uses a scrim and is therefore 87/13 or something like that. I guess that means we can only get 100% cotton needlepunched if there is no scrim.

Fairfield is one of my favorite battings. Hobbs is my least favorite. Isn't that interesting? It's hard always being in the minority.

Archived