Halogen lights - what you need to know

After reading about Bonnie's experience with the heat of halogen lights burning the marking material into the fabric, it is important that we all know the properties of halogen lights.

"Halogen lamps burn at 1,000 degrees F -- so hot that you can't hold your hands over them--and they heat the ceiling and nearby walls, creating the danger that nearby flammable materials such as drapes will catch fire. Compact fluorescents in the Berkeley Lab design produce a wall temperature of only 100 degrees F, cool enough to touch without burning. "

In 1997 a tipped-over halogen lamp started a fire in the 28th floor New York apartment of famed Jazz musician Lionel Hampton. He escaped unharmed, but lost everything, a lifetime of musical memories and compositions. Twenty-seven others were injured in the fire.

I have halogen lights in my studio - ceiling mounted track lights only. Have been using them for almost 18 months with no issues. Nothing (except maybe a few spider webs!;)) gets close to the lights, and they are turned off as I leave my studio - every time. I'm not worried.

Me either...and will contend with not being able to use the blue markers....LOVER my lights and they will stay....safety always....married to a fireman. Its when people get stupid that things happen....as long as you are careful and don't decide to grab one....ya won't have any trouble.

Archived