2nd Antique satin, taffeta quilt

Well, I started on my 2nd quilt from my S Calif customer. Here is the type of problems that I'm dealing with. I'll post a couple of pics so that you can see how fragil it is. Here is picture of the side edge of the quilt...

2490847030094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

And another one of a block...

2226009510094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

You can see where my finger is pointing as well as the darker blue strip across the top of how much this quilt is falling apart. I talked to my dear quilting friend, Linda A, and she suggested putting nylon netting over the quilt. I've done that and none of the blocks that have shredded fabric are gettin caught on my hopping foot. this quilt will never be used on a bed, just for decorating purposes. I talked to my customer about it and she hesitated for a bit, but finially said to go ahead. I'm hopeing that she will like the end result. When I quilted the smaller one, when I made a couple of loops on the feathers, it cut the fabric just inside the loop and I had to stick it down with a permanent fabric glue stick to hold it in place. Because of that, I decided that i couldn't do as much of an extensive amount of quilting. So, I am doing a a curvey design E2E. And it does have a top and bottom border of 1/2 square Triangles on them. I'm doing a CC on those. Anyway, I think you may be able to see the netting on this. I've got it about 1/2 done and will continue today and hopefully finish by tomorrow for sure. Thanks for looking:cool:

Yes Shana, Linda is a smart cookie. It has really helped with this quilt. You can hardly see the netting over the fabric and it is a good way to be able to preserve an old family quilt for a number of years. I thought that others may tuck this tip away for future use.

Great idea/plan. Actually, I know that some people use netting regularly for design purposes. Barely shows and allows people to do more extensive quilting with art quilts. Hadn't thought of using it to preserve quilts - fantastic. What treasures for your customer to have now that you are quilting them. Don't you wish the quilts could talk to you and tell you stories...............

Absolutely Meg - I would love to know the history of both of these quilts. The first one that I posted on last week is my favorite as it is so graphic with the Dark Velvet squares in the middle of each block. This one I'm working on is ok, but not nearly as dramatic as the first one was. I'm sure they are both by the same piecer as they are handstitched onto the same dark fabric foundation. So many different kinds of fabrics with satins, silks(mostly in shreds:() & I really think that this one is made out of ties.

I just thought that it was such a good yet inexpensive way to help preserve some of the oldies but goodies.:cool:

Archived