Starch and Steam

Don't know where it is on the forum but I use my form of this technique all the time.

While quilt is on the frame:

1. make sure quilt is saggy - often take side clamps off, but not always

2. smooth everything into place as much as possible

3. spray a light layer of starch over entire area (I use Mary Ellen's starch alternative). You don't want it to be wet - just barely damp.

4. again, smooth out

5. hover the iron over the quilt while continuing to smooth into place with hand - don't place the iron on the quilt - just above a couple of inches. Be careful that you don't burn yourself.

6. let dry.

7. generally all is in order when I return and the quilt is dry. The starch seems to pull the quilt in as it drys - don't know how, but it does.

8. have had to repeat the process a couple of times

This seems to work for me and I really don't know if it is the same as Bonnie's method. Good luck

Maybe the borders are just too big for this method (does happen) and have to be taken out and redone - make sure you discuss with customer first because you will have to charge for your work. The only other alternative is to make small pleats in the border as you go - of course this has to be done with a fabric that won't show the pleats too much. If I remember right, Shana showed a picture where she had done this and it looked great - maybe U2U Shana & I know she will be a great help - she has tons of knowledge.

Good luck - I am sure there is an answer.

Archived