Easy to do suggestions, Please?

Hi Quilting ladies and gents.. I have a problem..Quilting World, there is a problem, though minor.

I only have the borders to do on this quilt.. I thought Id do a two line diamond.. meaning two rows of stitching about half an inch apart, encompassing all 3 borders, but I can't seem to see them with the other designs stitched in.. I really don't want to treat them like 3 borders, and other than the diamonds, can't think what to do that will be compatible with feathers and the curlyque pattern you see..

I'ts on a blue and rust Lone Star quilt.

I can't keep track of the curly ques well enough to do without chalking them in, and I'm finding I need to go get dust masks to work with chalk..

Any easy suggestions, besides piano keys?

Oh, the borders are inside blue 3" middle white is 1.25 and the outter blue is 2".

Your help would really be appreciated.

RitaR

post--13461900454543_thumb.jpg

Hey Rita,

Do you have Darlene Epp's books? One of them is entirely border designs. Another idea is to mark whatever design you want with a sliver of soap. Washes right out, shows up great on dark fabrics. I used to store soap slivers in the freezer for marking tops, and found a bunch when we bought a new fridge. Mark the lines with your cutting ruler, then put the ruler in the shower to wash off all the soap!

It's not much, but what I've got at this point.

Hi Rita--I am sitting here waiting for inspiration to strike! So far--nuthin'!

Will you use navy on the whole border? Because the navy thread crossing the white will be a real eye-attracter. I would do a curvacious little line with white on the white. That larger inner border just like your design on the white squares only with navy thread (If you can find a Clover white marker you will love it for marking on darks--removes with water OR heat.)

Ok, I did a sketch-it-on-copy-paper-take-a-photo-and-attach-it tutorial for the white border. Place a small dot of something every 2 inches to mark where the hooks circle around.

I am not in the right place to post a photo so it will follow this one. have fun!

Ok, I looked thur Darlenes books and picked one that reminds me of a cartoon type flesh eating plant.. I think it was on page 51, Everrgreen Classic, with my twisted stitching on it.. It looks similar to hers.. and looking at it, I think I twisted something up.. Oh, well, it's well stitched, and not going into a quilt show, though I might enter it in our little regional fair.

I look at these patterns now and they arén't nearly as terribly frightening as they were when a friend sent them to me and I was getting or had just gotten Penny.. Now some still say "wait" but a lot of other say "try it'". Getting to be even more fun.. less boring, too.

Thanks for all the help.. I should finish the border work tonight and put the binding on tomorrow.. then wash, block and post a pict.

Many thanks, again,

RitaR

Oh Rita I'm worn out for sure! LOL I have been going 100 mph and feeling like I'm not making enough progress. I have a customer coming some time this morning or early afternoon and her quilt needs to be finished. I'm headed to my studio soon. I didn't want to touch it until I was awake. My plan was to leave my brothers party last evening and come home and finish it. NOT! We got home around 8:30 and then our daughter stayed and chatted with us until 9:30. Not complaining it was a nice day. It was absolutely beautiful out. My brother had a huge bonfire going and plenty of food. It was a nice time.

Archived