Pre-treating fabrics that might bleed

When I replied to a recent post about how to treat bleeding fabric, I recommended using Synthrapol to remove excess dye from suspect fabrics. Here's a link to three photos I took while treating an un-washed green batik wide-back that my customer asked me to iron before I loaded it, since she came straight from the quilt shop with it. I decided to dampen it and toss it in the dryer first to get out the creases. The first photo shows the horrible murky water in the sink! I treated it with Synthrapol and rinsed. It was still shedding dye---see the second photo. I treated it again and rinsed well. The third photo shows clear hot water when I checked again for bleeding color. I thought I'd share this graphic evidence and the solution  :P to the problem.

Arrow right when you get there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/16054773625/in/photostream/

So...I have a question. I have a red, white, gray and black lap quilt just finishing the binding on. Fabrics were not pre washed. Should I soak it in one of these prior to sending it off? I've never done it before. I am very worried it will bleed and person getting it will not know how to treat it.

Is this a gift from you or a customer quilt? If it's a gift, treating it would be a good idea, especially because red is the biggest problem fabric. If it's a customer quilt, I'd include specific instructions--where to buy, how to treat, what to expect--just so they have a heads-up.

If you're going to treat the quilt, try a two-step process.

Synthrapol has been used for many years by hand dyers to remove excess dye. The process is easy and uses very little product. If the quilt won't fit in the sink, use the bathtub with a plastic laundry basket to ease stress on the fabric. Treat a couple of times until the rinse water is clear.

Retayne is used to set the residual dye. Same treatment except you'll only need to do it once. Press/squeeze out excess water, throw into the dryer only until damp-dry. Lay flat to finish the drying process or to block. I hope you have time if this is a Christmas gift!

Archived