Fabric Cutters

I'm noticing that many of the embroidered appliqué quilt patterns come with .SVG files that can be used with a fabric cutter - they're actually recommending it in the patterns because the fabric must be cut exact because of the detail in the appliqué pieces.    I'm thinking it's probably time for me to purchase a fabric cutter however I am not interested in fabric dies or anything like that.   I'd like to be able to use the files you get in the embroidery patterns for cutting the fabric.  I'd also like to be able to create my own appliqué patterns and be able to load them into the cutter.     Does anyone have any recommendations on a fabric cutter that will do these things and possibly other features that I should be looking for?    I've read the threads on the forum for fabric cutters and I think, at this point, I'm pretty confused.

I'd appreciate any recommendations on a fabric cutter that will do the above mentioned things and also feedback on what else I should be looking for in a cutter.     Thanks....   Mercedes

While I do not have a cutter, I might suggest you purchase the type a local dealer sells.  While they may be easy to use, I know the Scan and Cut can do more than just cut.  So you may need some professional support after buying.  Normally you local DSM store will provide free input after the purchase.  That may be worth more than the $50 you save buying online.  Plus, if something goes wrong with the machine they will be there to fix it.  Best of luck with your shopping.

Cagey

I have the Brother  Scan and Cut Two.  It works great and very user friendly.   The Scan and Cut  two  can  be set-up to work wireless.  It was originally designed to compliment the Brother embroidery programs.  You can do a lot of different materials on it, like vinyl, paper, balsa wood and more.  It has a program to design/cut-out rhinestone stencil patterns.    It's set-up to convert several embroidery files (pes, pas, etc) to svc.  I don't know anything about the ones sold at hobby stores (silhouette, cameo, zing), which were originally designed for scrapbookers.    Oh, there's a couple models of the scan and cut, I believe Amazon and maybe Walmart sell the cheap one so be careful.  The full model with all the bells and whistles runs around 600.00 but Brother has been putting them on sale since it's a new upgrade.  you can test drive them at most DSM Stores that sell Brother or Babylock.  Oh, I have two sets of blades, just like scissors, one set for fabric and another for paper and vinyl.  The blades pop in and out easily.  Remember, just like our sewing machines, everyone is different, you have to choose the one that you are comfortable with (make sure you do a test drive).

This is great feedback - hope to get to my SM store this weekend to test out cutters.  I want to make the Orange Dynasty Quilt by Fabric Confetti.  I saw this quilt made up at the Quilt store and it looked fabulous.  The pattern recommends using a cutter and the gal who made it said you probably couldn't cut the detailed designs without one.  She used some beautiful fabric colors and it really made the quilt pop.   Thanks!

I read about the Scan N Cut on the Brother Website.  It sounds like there's some software to be able to use other formats of designs (like SVG) and the software is free?   Also, it's wireless.  Is anyone running this with a MAC Timecapsule router - wirelessly?  The reason I'm asking is that last year I purchased a sewing machine that uses the cloud to transfer designs and was told it would work with that setup however it does NOT.  Very disappointing.  I'm looking at getting another router but since mine works just fine with everything else I can't really justify buying a new one.   

Lisa and Lora, and anyone else with a Silhouette Cameo, which fusible are you using?  I bought the Cameo specifically for cutting machine applique and so far am less than pleased with the results.  I am using Soft Fuse, and I love it as a fusible since it is very soft and pliable but the cuts are not always clean.  Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!

I have a KNK cutter and love it.  I don't use it as much as I should but now that I'm retired I'm hoping to get more use out of it, of course that will likely be put on hold until the twins are a little older.  I use Make the cut software and it works great.  I do find that I have to refresh when I use it but it comes back pretty quickly.  It is only because I don't use it for 6 months and then have to remember everything I learned.  They have some good tutorials and video's available.  

Archived