Question about hopping foot

Has anyone raised the hopping foot on a Lenni and is it hard to do and get back to where it was. I have a double sided t-shirt quilt on the frame with a Dream cotton Request batting and it is really thick especially where the seams meet from front to back. I am slowing way down when I come to think areas and it is doing the job although it is kind of like plowing snow. I just wonder if I should raise the foot a tad or leave well enough alone. My concern is I don't know how much trouble it is to raise and then put back where it was. It has always been just right. Kind of like tension, don't want to mess with perfection!! Thanks Jeanne

Jeanne, it is not hard to do. It is just like the other machines.... you need a long handled straight edge screwdriver and some might!. Go in on the right hand side where that little black plug/hole is. Shine a flashlight in there so you can see the screw that holds the hopping foot in place. You can even remove the left cover to let more light in. Loosen the screw just enough to raise the foot up. Only go 3-4 business cards high and see if that works for you. Then remember to lower it back down to the 2 business cards high (when the foot is in its lowest position) after you finish this quilt. Also make sure you really tighten that screw back up so your foot does not change position. This is a good time too, to center your needle in the foot if necessary. You just turn to foot while it is loose, so that the needle is centered.

Before you change the position you may want to lower the foot and see how many business cards you can get under there, then you know where to return it to.

Hi Jeanne

As Patty says - you will need some might. According to Mark, that screw is 'man' tight, so a long handled screwdriver is needed. Apparently all the screws that hold moving parts are 'man' tight - very good in ensuring things don't move around when they're not supposed to!

Cheers, Judy

Archived