oil from cotton seeds.... help how to get out?

<p>i have experienced for the first time a Brown oil stain from cotton seeds in the wadding.... it literally burst into the backing fabric.... what can I do I supplied the wadding too....i have three rather noticible oil splodges in different places.. its being collected on Friday.<br />

<br />

</p>

Sorry for the problems! The best thing for oil spots is baking soda. Unfortunately you probably can't get to the seeds to remove them so it may be a futile effort. With the seeds inside they may continue to stain the quilt after treatment. Use the baking soda--pile it on and let it absorb the oil. Then brush or vacuum it off. If there is a stain from the husk, gently work the mildest soap you have into the spot and rinse 

Here in the US we have products made by Carbona called Stain Devils. A different formulation for various types of stains (oil. crayon, blood, grass, ink, etc.) and it's the only thing I've successfully used to remove old rust and also ink.

Good luck and I hope you get some more tips.

thanks i will try that...  what can i say to her or offer any recompense if i cant get it off?  i mean the hours to make her quilt...  i just hope there are no more that could pop and put oil on the top.  the worse thing they were not noticible at all when i cut the wadding its a new roll i just didnt expect this could happen.

It's why I won't use W&N.  I always buy Warm and White to use in wallhangings.  The one time it happened to me, I got the stain out, but I opened the quilt and cut the spot out of the batting and put more in.  However, it wasn't heavily quilted.  I hope everything comes out for you.

You've opened my eyes.  I never heard of this.

I was given a 12 year old Baltimore Album applique top that had been basted for hand quilting and then folded and stored. Not only did it have stains from the Warm & Natural batting (the seeds will leave oil spots and the other debris will leave brown stains), but the bright red dye in the applique transferred from contact and storage. There were pink blotches all over the white background. She had me quilt it. She bound it and together we got out the oil and stains (Grandma's Secret Spot Remover) and treated the dye transfer with Synthrapol and then Retayn. It's her pride and joy.

I always tell my customers that W&N is not a good choice. For the same price they can get Warm & White and never have to worry about show-through of the chunky bits on white fabric or eventual stains.

I had my first problem with this about 17 years ago and have been very careful to make sure it didn't happen again.  It was my own quilt with a white muslin backing that ended up with tiny dots of seed oil all over it.  I never was able to get them all out.  When Warm and White came out I was very happy as I like to use cotton products occasionally.

good news and bad news.... the cotton seed stain came out with aerial stain remover... tried stain devils which didnt touch it. bad news the orange colour from the customers fabric bled through to the back.... good news again she was not too concerned as she was so pleased with the quilting.... and wasnt bothered about the back at all.... still i gave her 15% off her next quilt as it makes me feel better.....

Archived