Basting Sides of Quilt

Hi, just wondering about something.  When partially floating a quilt and doing a pantograph, do I baste the sides as I quilt each row of the panto?  Do I baste the whole thing first?  I took classes a while back (so far back I don't quite remember what we did), and I've practiced with free-motioning on a fully-floated cloth, but this is the real thing! Advice?  Thanks!

Basting the sides before each pass will allow you to enter the top without worrying about catching the hopping foot, so it's a good plan. Do a dry-run with your channel locks on before you stitch, so you can nudge the side straight before you stitch. 

I only baste the sides of the quilt when my sil is quilting because she usually ends up catching the sides and I baste the sides if I'm doing a lot of custom work otherwise I float my tops and I watch my sides and it has never been a problem.  I think it's personal choice and what works best for each individual.

Experience will come from practice.  You will make all of the mistakes at one time or another and you will learn from them.  To me the most important thing is to get my backing loaded straight then the batting and the top basted down straight then things just seem to go well after that.  Don't get caught up in a bunch of little worries at first.  Just grab a backing, add the batting, attach the top and have fun.  If it's not so perfect then give it to one of the kids.  They'll love it.

Ok so this is good info for me too. I also have a question...what if your batting is wider than your backing. Should I trim it so it is narrower or the same size? And the reason I'm asking is because if it's larger then I can't make sure the backing rolls up straight.

Archived