Help with customer's stenciled quilt

Does anyone have suggestions for quilting stenciled blocks? I'm going to take delivery of a customer quilt that has pieced star blocks alternating with pre-printed stenciled blocks. I believe they're 6" blocks printed with different designs, i.e. a spray of fruit, a tree with birds,    a wreath of branches and leaves. I thought about a simple background fill. However, there isn't the option of quilting around the actual design and I think background fill wouldn't do anything for those images. Thanks, all.

You all probably have a lot more quilting experience than I (do), but the artist in me says 1) to post a picture as the description is a little confusing w/o one and/or 2) if the fruit, bird, branches and leaves are detailed (complex)....then, absolutely simple is the answer!  Or you could get much too 'busy'.  Sometimes, as they say, less is more!

Cairns;

When you say, "pre-printed stenciled blocks", I take that to mean a block where the fabric is printed with ink as if a panel.  If that is the case, why not simply use the design in the block to quilt around.  Use an invisible thread, or a matching thread to highlight the design be it a flower, bird, or other item.  Make the picture/stencil the highlight of the block.  

When I searched for "quilting+panels", I could only a few threads.  Here is one, that somewhat shows using the fabric picture to set your quilting design.http://forum.apqs.com/topic/20367-bird-quilt-again/#comment-287610  Terry has another one for her son with vegetable and fruit as I remember, but I cannot find the thread.  I thought she used the design in the fabric to be the outline for her quilting.  

13 hours ago, vegaslady said:

You all probably have a lot more quilting experience than I (do), but the artist in me says 1) to post a picture as the description is a little confusing w/o one and/or 2) if the fruit, bird, branches and leaves are detailed (complex)....then, absolutely simple is the answer!  Or you could get much too 'busy'.  Sometimes, as they say, less is more!

Hi. I don't have the quilt top yet. The problem with quilting the pre-printed design is that each one is very small. The square is probably 6"' and the images are more like 4". I could stitch on the line of the wreath, for example, but not around the tiny leaves. Treating the design as an appliqué may work with some of the blocks, though. 

I'm pretty new to this and wanted to practice possible alternatives. I should've waited until I could share. I'll post again when I have pictures. Thanks.

Archived