Tension issues again

My tension issues disappeared with everyone advising the use of Filtec magnetic bobbins. I had her annual check-up with Dave and now the thread will pop out of the tension spring periodically. I assume this is too loose of tension but if I tighten it up any more the thread breaks. Does anyone have a clue as to what is going on with her now? I might have to send her out for a spa treatment, or maybe I will just go out for a spa treatment lol. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

If you are threading the thread through all three holes above the tensioned spring, try threading it through only 2 holes.  This will lessen the tension prior to it arriving at the actual tensioner.  It worked for me after speaking with Amy, and this is how I always thread my George.  Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

Cagey

Nancy:  It could be that the take-up spring isn't oriented properly.  You can re-position it by loosening the set screw that holds the tension mechanism in place, rotating the assembly, and then tightening the set screw.  The other thing to check is whether the spring is moving properly.  If the tension assembly is set too far into the machine head, the spring will drag on the machine keeping it from functioning properly.  Or it might not have enough tension on the spring to pull the thread tight.  There is also the possibility that the spring itself is bent.

Look carefully at the spring considering what I've said.  Do some stitching with your machine specifically watching the take-up spring movement.  At full take-up, it should be at about the 11 o'clock position, and about 8 o'clock when the needle meets the fabric.  If you find that it is not working properly, let me know, and I'll give you specific instructions on how to make the needed adjustment(s).  Jim

Thanks Jim I might have the new tension assembly off because I thought it was to be at 10 0'clock. Soon as granddaughter gets picked up tonight I am going down to check it out. I thought maybe it had to do with the assembly because I just replaced it because from day one the spring was riding up against the machine and looked like it was bent out of shape alittle bit so I got a new one. Just might have to tweek this some. Thank you. I will let you know if I have success.

Archived