Saggy bottoms!!!

SandraC

Hi there...

I just tried something that worked pretty good! You know when you load a backing and there is a vertical seam and sometimes it pulls too taut so the quilt sags on either side?

Well, I just loaded one of my own and when I was sewing the seam I used a very narrow zig-zag (#1 on my DSM), just thought it might add a little stretch when it was put on the longarm. It seems pretty good! Maybe this is a trick everyone already knows, but it's new to me.

The problem is...maybe it would have been ok anyway...you never know...but I will try it again sometime. I do try to load the backings with a horizontal seam whenever possible but sometimes a vertical seam is unavoidable.

Have a good day........Sandra:cool:

The very narrow "zig" and a little longer "zag" works great. In addition to this make your seam a little wider -about 1/2 to 3/4 inch rather than 1/4 inch. Press. The seam will stay flat and has ease as you roll the backing. This is a technique that our Longarm Machine Quilting Guild teaches in our program we present to the traditional quilting guilds. Then do what Myrna suggested as you load your quilt back - twist the seam(s) each time you roll it.

I'm with Caron on the 1/2" seam and that is what I suggest to my customers and it MUST be ironed open. Another trick I just started using in addition to Myrna's suggestion, is after I twist the seam I put a straight pin into the seam close to the quilt, then roll about a turn and pin is almost under the roller, I pull out and smooth the backing in both directions starting from the center and replace the pin and roll another turn. I have found that this helps the center from slipping and has made rolling my backs much quicker.

Hester :)

By twisting the seam, do you mean to sort of tighten it in that center area where the seam is building up to try to aven it out to the sides? I know that I straighten the seam when it is running with the bars when necessary.

I have read about the zig zag seam so that the seam can give a bit. I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the reminder :).:)

Guest Linda S

If you got the video on how to load your quilt (with Dawn Cavanaugh) that came with the machine, she shows you how to twist those seams as you are loading your quilt. It really helps to take the bulk out and make them lie flat.

Linda

I don't like to have that back seam pressed open. The threads are exposed at their most vulnerable point and if they're gonna break, at an seam pressed open is where it will happen.

"Tightening" that seam as it's rolled on the roller has always worked well for me.

Vicki

Archived