Terminology Question

Sallyquilt

I am seeing terms here that I thought I understood but now I am wondering....what, if anything, is the difference between edge-to-edge designs, pantograms and allovers?? Is it that with pantograms you are following a paper pattern(or digital-you lucky guys) and the other two are done freehand??? Or are the other 2 terms kind of "catchalls" that can be either freehand or over a pattern? Thanks for your help. Sally- a newbie in too hot NE Ohio

Well...you are right its a bit confusing, even to those of us who have been quilting a very long time...each person seems to have their own thought on this.

To me an Edge 2 Edge can be either a pantrograph or a design that you did freehand that goes edge to edge...but I guess it can be a digital design as well. It just is something that literally goes edge to edge and then you roll down and do the same thing again.

So short I would just say its a "Catchall" as you stated.

I'll ringin on this, too. I know it can be frustrating to figure out the linog. :D

I have several customers who love the panto patterns and freemotion (like Feather Meander) but still want their borders SID and a separate border pattern. You can't call that edge-to-edge (E2E, overall).

I agree with Bonnie, E2E is one row (whether freemo, stencil row marked or panto) from the one edge of the quilt to the other, right off the edge; with no concern for blocks or borders.

E2E, for me, has several price points:

Light: like stipple. loops, leaves at .013 per sq in

Medium: flowers, ribbons, leaves at .014

Heavy: flowers, feathers, ferns .015

Pantos require your eye to follow the pattern so, for me, it is more time consuming and time is $$.

Light: like Wandering Daisies .016

Medium: this is where most of my pantos live .017

Heavy: anything Deb Geissler .018

Circle Lord: Baptist Fans, Swirls, ZigZag .019

If I am not running it off the edge then. for me it is custom. I much prefer the freemo e2e because they are quick, forgiving and easy to setup. No chalk, no rulers or expanded base,. Just quilt, roll, line-up the next row and start again.

Archived