Stitch regulator ?

CLRtoQuilt

Hello Everyone.

Bad news today, my bank didn't approve the loan for a brand new millie:(. Mainly because of the price.

I seen that there was a 1995 Ultimate I for sale so I thought maybe I could start that way and then move up later.

What I need to know is how hard is it to learn to quilt without the stitch regulator? I know practice practice, practice:D . Please help me figure this out. I want to get a longarm really, really bad :D

Char

Char: Don't be discouraged. You definitely can run a business and do great quilting without a S/R. My first machine was an awful old short arm. The guy who sold it to us said I could only do pantos with it but I didn't want to do pantos! I ended up having to use a piece of a 2 x 4 for a "ruler" because the machine only had a bowl foot and it would jump everything else. The first picture is part of a quilt I did on that machine that won quite a few ribbons. This was back in 1998 and I rarely took pictures of quilts back then.

The second quilt is a Stack & Whack that was done on the Ult. I without the S/R and it won Best of Category at the AQS Expo in Nashville.

In fact, if I had a choice of having a Millennium with a note, or having an Ult. I without a S/R, I'd take the Ult. I without thinking twice! You can always start quilting, save up the money you need for the Millennium, sell the Ult. I and get the Millennium.

You can do fine without a S/R . . just takes a little more effort and maybe a bit more of a learning curve.

post--13461897736047_thumb.jpg

Hi Char,

I just sent you a U2 message! :)

Linda

quote]Originally posted by CLRtoQuilt

Hello Everyone.

Bad news today, my bank didn't approve the loan for a brand new millie:(. Mainly because of the price.

I seen that there was a 1995 Ultimate I for sale so I thought maybe I could start that way and then move up later.

What I need to know is how hard is it to learn to quilt without the stitch regulator? I know practice practice, practice:D . Please help me figure this out. I want to get a longarm really, really bad :D

Char

Having stitched with both SR and originally stitching without a SR, I would rather wait until I could afford the Millie or look into buying an used machine that has the SR. It is so much freeing to have the SR, pratically like the idea that I can stop/start at whim, think about what I want to do and know that the next stitch will look exactly like the last one. I have seen beautiful quilts done by quilters who do not have a SR, but I wasn't one of them.

Good luck.

Char

Thanks everyone

Pam, sorry I didn't see this last night after I posted, but I did order one of the used freedoms last night. I guess I just have to start somewhere (just not where I wanted to)

I will have to work harder to get clients so then I can upgrade sooner ;)

Friendship

Char

Archived