EQ5 Quilting program

Guest Linda S

I've had this program for about a year and a half, but just finished taking the Quilt University class to learn how to use it properly. I like the program very much, especially now that I know what to do with it. Previously, I had Quilt Pro, which is a bit more user friendly, but not as useful.

Linda

Char,

I've been using the EQ software ever since version 4.0. I love it and am using it all them time when designing my own quilts. However, I've found that this application has its limitations, too. I love to work with very complex blocks with curved seams and odd sized blocks.

So, in order to play with these, I've turned to using CorelDraw 12 - where of course you don't have the fabric library feature...

Birgit

Hi Char,

I love the program. In fact, I just used it last night to play with some color in a quilt I just started. It's perfect for trying things out before purchasing fabric. I have no idea on how I want to proceeed with this quilt and EQ5 lets me try many different options before committing. I usually work on medallion style quilts and never plan too far ahead. That way, I can use the computer to decide what color the next border should be. There are many companion programs available that make things even more fun. I would highly recommend the Stash fabric programs. There are many educational books and programs to make things easier as well.

Kay

Char,

I love EQ5. It is so versatile and has helped me a lot. It has so many features that I haven't learned to use them all yet. My favorite is to audition different quilting patterns on a quilt before I decide how to quilt it. Occasionally I will recreate a customer's quilt on EQ5 and then audition different quilt patterns to get a feel for what I want to do. Also, I love the "help" feature that allows you to "watch a video" as a pleasant woman's voice walks you through the steps of how to do something.

Linda S- Can you tell me more about the Quilt University class you took?

The members of my local quilt guild would be very interested in this class.

Thanks,

Pam Geary:)

Thanks everyone

I think I will look on ebay and see what I can find. I have been drawing out designs of quilts but end up miss placing it and I am sure I get it mixed up with other things and ends up tossed or in the file somewhere. So I thought if I have a program I might be able to keep it all in one place. ;)

Char

I too would highly recommend EQ5. I don't think you can even buy the older versions, and you wouldn't want to. I wouldn't worry about a new version coming out. They offer very generous upgrades offers to registered users, so be sure and register. As far as fabric yardage goes there are some tricks to learn to get more accurate calculations. Search their very helpful website, the EQ5 help files, and another great resource is Quilt University. They have wonderful online classes that are well worth taking. Be sure to take them in order, starting with the beginning. The classes are very helpful as EQ has so many features it can seem kind of intimidating at first but once you learn each feature you will use it all the time. You can also make and print continuous line quilting designs :).

Archived