Gotsa no border question here

LauraJ

Finishing last two rows of quilt that has 1,375-ish 2-3/4" squares. No border. Will be stitch basting around the whole quilt outside edge of top. I'll float it with some pin basting to start.

Question, would it be safer to put a muslin border around the whole thing or just go for it? Slightly concerned with it not remaining square. (Will square it off after quilting though.)

Ideas and experiences from all the wonderful quilters out there?

Happy New Year!!!!! :D

Personally I would not add a border. Then you'd have to worry about taking it off and not catching any of it in the quilting. I would baste it as I go. I have found that I baste along sides and top and then pin baste along the upper bar. If you're doing a full float then you would pin baste along the backing bar. I keep those pins in place as I roll forward, baste sides and then move pins down. This really has helped to keep the quilt completely sqauare.

And yet another opinion...I actually did all my quilts with muslin borders when I first started, because I had such train wrecks with keeping things square....

If you do this make sure that your seam is up....not down as inside the quilt...you want to make sure that the seam is up for two reasons...ya know where it is and you don't get it caught in the quilting and secondly you really know where the quilt edge actually is....

Either way with or without the muslin you will do great....if you don't do the muslin, I would most definitely do the stay stitching around the quilt so the seams don't pop as Caron already stated.

Thanks - will stay stitch as planned. Since I go back to work next week - I really, really, really, really (did I say REALLY?) want to start quilting this puppy. If I add muslin - that'll take a bit of my precious time.

Thanks again for the input and your experiences.

Archived