Bottom Line Thread

Vicky Shoup was the first to mention this but I thought I'd share it with anyone who doesn't know.

I love Superior Bottom Line thread. Color #620 works really great when you have a quilt that needs lots of stitching and you don't want to use monofilament or change colors a zillion times. It blends and almost takes on the color of each fabric. I just used it on the quilts on this page: http://sunshinequilts.com/Sheryl.html

I had to do some cross hatch type quilting across all those colors and 620 blended so nicely! I think I like it a lot better than monofilament!

Beautiful job!

Did you post a picture of the quilt you were doing for a benefit, that you had the list send in quilting ideas for? I got the picture of the first one but missed the 2nd one.

That's for the info on the Superior Bottom Line color #620. Really appreciate that.

Shirl

Guest Linda S

Judy - I've got several colors of Bottom Line in my stash and will have to add that one to it! I've ordered their thread cards so I can get a more realistic idea of thread matching. They really have some fabulous stuff.

Linda :D

Like Sherry, on the densely quilted areas, I love the Bottom Line on top and botton.

In fact, in the recent picture I shared, I was using Signature cotton in the bobbin and on top in the feathered border. I was switching back and forth from BL to Signature as I went across the quilt and in one point (quilting too late), I switched the bobbin but forgot to switch the top thread and ended up using BL on top in the border. I had to rip it out but the feathers looked soooo much better with the BL because of all the backtracking. I wished I'd used it in the border as well.

Hello Gloria!

It's good to see you here on this forum!

I'll try to help you if I can to use the BLT. I use it allot in both the top and the bobbin. To use it in the bobbin, I run the tension fairly loose, like a slow drop as you are holding the thread tail. From there I basically just loosen the top tensioner enough to allow a smooth steady pull when the needle is threaded. (Try one full turn to the left as a begining point and go from there.) I rarely use a thread net but if the thread catches and breaks then I would suggest just that. Also make sure that the thread guide above the cone of thread is directly above the cone. I do place a piece of wool batting in that thread guide as I happen to have it in pretty colors and I think it gives it a feminine touch! :D Besides that my head tells me that wool has lanoline and lanoline is a lubricant. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin to it! Oh and I do use a smaller needle (14 or16) too but not sure if that matters or not!

Hope this helps you to enjoy a little BLT once in while. Tis one of my most liked thread (and sandwiches) these days.

Thanks Sherry I have the rotary tensioner. I tried the BL again last night and wound the thread 2and a 1/2 times around that tensioner instead of just 1 & 1/2 times. that seems to help. looks good from the top but the backing side feels a bit ruff. But... the backing is a sheet. so maybe that is the problem. I really love the BL colors and have about 12 spools that I have not been using. It is not breaking thread now or making big birds nests. so I will keep tweeking that bobbin tenson.

Gloria

• 3 months later...

I'm posting this again because I don't think it posted the first time. Sorry if it is a repeat.

My Millennium arrived about 10 days ago and a friend thinks it's already time for me to quilt on a real quilt instead of muslin. She brought over an old top that is mostly purple with some white. I have some gray thread that is okay and was going to use that but then I realized that I have Purple Bottom Line thread that is a perfect match. Is it okay to use Bottom Line on the top and bottom on a quilt that will actually be used, washed, dried, etc.? Is the 60 wt. strong enough for that?

Is there anything I should know about using it before I dive in?

Thanks! Sue

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mari-Lee

I just ran TONS of BLT and Rainbows at a pretty fast clip on my Liberty and I was NOT using the SR either. I did not have any trouble at all sew hang in there and try a few things before you throw in the towel. Some threads though will require that you slow down a bit. :(

What size needle are you using? I use anywhere from a 14-18. Make sure that your thread is not pooling under the cone in the back as it unwinds. If this is the case it will catch and break, put a sock on it! And lastly...are you using cones? If not, you may want to try one to see if that makes a differance.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you persevere!

Hello!

I took two days of "Threadplay" classes from Libby Lehman earlier this month. She is the designer of Bottom Line. She talked about the thead in class, and I just wanted to mention that if it sells enough in the 50 colors out now, she hopes they will expand the line to lots more colors. That would be great, so I encourage you all to use it.

I had a customer bring it to me and ask me to use it the first time I heard of it -- she wanted it top and bottom on her quilt and it worked really well. I think it's especially nice when you are doing things like heirloom feathers where you have to backtrack and you want that build-up of thread to show up as little as possible on top. But it's also great in the bobbin when you're using specialty threads on top that need a smooth bobbin thread not to catch and break -- like with metallics or anything heavy or unusual.

But for another suggestion for something similar that is fine so it also doesn't build up too fast but looks like cotton, although it is polyester (so also very strong), you might be interested in trying Superior's So Fine! thread designed by John Flynn. I really like them both and have used both Bottom Line and So Fine! in the bobbin and on top at the same time -- and just in the bobbin -- depending on what I'm doing.

You can find both Bottom Line and So Fine! (as well as lots of other thread) at www.superiorthreads.com, and if you love Bottom Line, there you can get it in either spools or large cones. You can also sign up for an email newsletter there and get tips about thread and some nice special offers every month. I sound as if I work for them, but I don't. I like Signature cotton, YLI, and other threads, too.

Mary Smart

Vermillion SD:o

Archived