Canvas

Raelene

Hi Raelene,

Could you please explain what you mean by the "canvas shrinking"? Have you washed the canvas and it has shrunk or are the sides of the canvas on the rollers shrinking in on the sides? ....or??? What machine do you have? Lenni canvas is attached with velcro...easy to replace....Millie is attached with a glue substance also easy to replace but with a tad more work. Are your canvases old or is your system fairly new?

Please provide a few details and we'll help out some more.

My millennium is 4 years old. The canvas on the rollers has shrunk on the sides. Was wondering if anyone has had to replace theirs and if so what did they purchase. Someone told me that Joann fabrics has some material but I can't remember what its called and wasn't sure if anyone has done this.

You can replace it or you can re-square it. I think you can find a good explanation of this process in the how-to or frequently asked questions forums.

I also know that The Longarm Connection in WI sells the leaders. Not to exclude other places, I just know Sue does sell them.

Hope this helps.

Donna

My machine is about 4 years old as well and my leaders have shrunk up on the sides over the years about 2" on each end. They shrunk when I pin my leaders together then spritz them with water (I do this every year) to get rid of the stretched out leaders that are out of whack because of doing too many quilts of a certain size. Works great to even out the leader edge that runs horizontal but does shrink in the edges of the leaders.

If it bothers you, you can purchase replacement leaders from APQS (they are exactly what you currently have on your machine) or you can buy some canvas from other sources such as Bayside Quilts. If you purchase them from APQS I am sure they will also send their handy instructions with pics on how to replace them.

I just bought some canvas at WalMart, and went on a wing and aprayer.. the prayer helped.. I duct tape them to the rollers, sew half a zip on the other side of that leader, the other half of the zip on another piece of leader, and hem the opposite side.. That opposite side is where I machine baste (dsm) the quilt backing for loading.

RitaR

Okay, now I understand what you were asking. The canvas on my machine does the same...I give them a good tug when I roll and unroll and that kinda brings them back a bit...I have never spritzed my canvas with water so I can't blame it on the fabric shrinkage...I do many quilts in the center of my frame so I would think the stretching in the center is pulling in the sides. I've recently quilted king sized quilts and the canvas was not an issue....I have a 14' table. I haven't had any problems with it so I have never thought of replacing them. What do others think?

Hopefully Dawn Cavanaugh will see this and give us her advice.

Also a while back Tina Collins posted excellent instructions on how to square your leaders. Please see the following link...

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=10195&page=1#pid92715

My canvas has shrunk also. As long as it is centred I find it OK.

My biggest problem is my rollers move about 1 inch either side of the side bracket.

I have to remember to keep them left when I am quilting or my centres are off. Does anyone else have this trouble.

Archived