Fusing clogging the needle eye

Just had a new experience, and thought I'd ask for input from all of you with your expertise and wisdom.

I'm quilting an art quilt, which was assembled with fusible web. While quilting the borders, using So Fine, I experienced top thread breakage twice, and figured it was because I was sewing through as many as 3 layers of fused batik, which was probably cutting the thread. Then I switched to 100 weight silk, which stitched with no problems, although I only used it for a short time (probably quilted about 450 - 500 inches). When I tried to switch back to the So Fine, I could not thread the needle. After changing to my stronger reading glasses and still no luck, I finally reverted to a needle threader. As I pushed the thin wire through the eye, a chunk of "gunk" popped out of the eye. So now I assume the heat of the needle had softened some of the fusible adhesive and dragged it through the eye where it built up, and eventually even the thinner silk would have broken.

Everything seems to be working fine now, but here are all the questions I pondered while trying to sleep last night:

Where else might gunk have built up?

Does stitching through multiple fused layers put undue stress on the machine, and will this cause damage to the motor over time?

What tips and tricks have you discovered when working with layers of fused fabrics?

Are any brands of fusible web more quilting and thread-friendly than others? (This was Steam a Seam II Lite, which seems to be a favorite for a lot of art quilters.)

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Julie

Do you have any "SEWER'S AID"...if not get some....put some down the needle and it will lubricate the needle so that it slides through the webbing and not problems....you will need to do this every so often to keep it from building back up. This was the only way I could quilt a T-Shirt quilt...the webbing on the backs of the T-shirts would just about kill me till I figured this out.

I'm a fusing nut and have taken classes from some of the big wig fusers and they recommend wonder Under Light and specifically said do not use Steam a Seam. I can quilt over it most of the time if it is not too many layers. wonder Under Light is cheap and available at Walmart..

I haven't had trouble quilting over a bunch of fused layers, but you certainly do get build up from the glue. I didn't think of using the sewer's aid on the needle. Bonnie, you're a wealth of information! What I hate about these is the tick of the needle and the holes. Too much glue I guess! The fabric can't shrink back! They look okay when they're done if you don't look too close!:P

Bonnie, Merry Jo, and Cheryl,

Thank you all so much. You have just solved my problems and eased my worries about the ticking of my machine. My repairman (DH) could not hear ticking, I didn't know what caused it and this sound made me very uncomfortable. Had read somewhere else where Bonnie had suggested the Sewer's Aid and was using that to keep the needle clog free; but couldn't figure out the ticking sound. I will sleep better tonight.

A friend and I made quilts alike, both using Steam A Seam as mentioned above and so I am quilting both of them. Will never use that stuff again. I have hers half done and will probably avoid doing mine for awhile.

Thanks again,

Marilyn

Several more hours of quilting, now on another quilt that has a bit of fusing on it, and I noticed ticking noises as well. My bobbin thread also seemed to be getting harder to pull up, so I took out the bobbin case and found more gunk in it. Used one of those plastic dental picks to get most of the stuff out, then gave it a shot of WD40, cleaned everything out again, oiled her up good, and VOILA! No more ticking sounds - - so Marilyn, you might want to look further on your machine as well.

Julie,

Will do what you suggested first thing tomorrow. Thanks - thanks.

What would I do without this forum and all of the wonderful informa tion one gets here. Bonnie is always the first one I shout for and then get additional information from everyone else.

Makes my life so much easier as I am really just getting over the feeling of being a cowardly quilter. Bought my machine (put in basement), then had to have one knee replaced. Next year another replaced, so using it was very intermittent. Getting to basement was sometimes a real challenge. Am now very mobile and having a lot of fun.

Marilyn

Archived