Question about Companies

Dib

Joanne, do you have to order large amounts of fabric or can you order what you want/need. You have a brick building, right. I'll bet they won't sell to me with just a small company.

Also, do you all know of any other similar companies like them that would sell to small businesses?

I didn't like Checker but I do like Marshall Dry Goods in Batesville, Arkansas. You can order in smaller quantities. I also feel there shipping is fairer. Marshalls' is selling on e-bay also now. You can get bundles of top quality fabric and do not have to order huge amounts of one print or solid. Thay also sell the large quilt backs. Carol Giar

Dib - I ordered from Checkers even before I had the "brick and mortar" shoppe. They have a minimum order of $150. They have over 80,000 products to choose from...of course, this may have been why I ended up opening the Shoppe - I couldn't resist all of the goodies to choose from...

Their shipping runs about $7 per fabric bolt. Each bolt has approx. 15 yards per bolt. You can order as many bolts, flat folds, books, patterns, etc as you want or as little as you want as long as the minimum order dollar amount is met for each order. There is no shipping charge on books or patterns.

Their wholesale application was the first one I filled out after we bought our Milli and it was easy and accepted quickly. I used a credit card to pay the initial invoices. They have been in business since 1948 or something like that.

We vended at local quilt shows after we got our APQS Millennium and before we opened the Shoppe. It was a great way to promote our quilting services. By ordering from Checkers, we could add a few fat quarter bundles, books and patterns to the booth too.

We originally ordered from Checkers for their large selection of quilt backs and fabric selections for our longarm customers. So long answer to a short question - you don't have to place big orders with checkers. In fact, I think they added the minimum order amount of $150 when the gas went sky high last year.

I order from Checkers, but the minimum went up to $300 for free shipping. But they have freight charges on alot of items, fabric, anything bulky and heavy.

Always a positive experience in the past 2-3 yrs I have ordered. I get all my thread there as they have most all.

And it is really nice to purchase some of the items you'd like to get for half the price for your business use.

I've had an account with Checker for probably the last 12 years and have always been a home based business. They do have what they call a Longarmer account and I think the yearly requirements are less than a normal account. It has been a while since I heard that, though, so you may want to check on it.

I use Checkers and have been very happy with them. I live about 2 hours away and can go pick up the batting.

They won't send unless you hit the minimum amount and there is no shipping charge unless you buy batting or fabric. The last time I checked it was that way.

In the 2 years that I have been in business I haven't met the $1000.00 per year order. Have come close. The person in accounting said that they will work with me on what I spend for my business. I think they realize that longarming doesn't need as much product as a quilt shop.

Michele

Archived