Stitch in Ditch with CQ?

LoreW

Hi,

I'm wondering how other CQ users do SID. I am a new Millie with CQ owner. My previous experience is with a friend's system which allowed me to mark points along a line and then stitch between them - much like the boundary function in CQ, but did not require that you close the boundary. Is there a way to do this with CQ or am I going to have to learn how to SID with rulers? I've never been very good at coloring in the lines...

Lore

You are able to do it in "Outline". This does not require you to close the shape. I just did a small bargello using outline. Not an exceptionally quick process but can be done. However if you are quilting as a business, using rulers would be more time efficient.

Hi Lore,

I guess not many of us use the CQ for SID. I think for rulers, you would probably be happiest of you had two. A little one like Sherry's Dainty Ditcher for intricate work and then a longer one like the Off the Edge Stitch in the Ditch which has quarter inch insets so you can follow the SID line. I also have longer rulers but you have to be real careful to hold onto the ruler so it doesn't jump up and mess up your needle, timing etc so the shorter ruler is probably best to start.

I would also recommend practicing horizontal and vertical SID with no ruler. I only use a ruler when I do SID at an angle. The machine moving vertically and horizontally is very easy to manipulate so a ruler isn't really necessary.

Good luck.

Donna

I agree with Donna (Sams Mom) above--because of the carriage set-up, the machine likes to go vertically or horizontally all by itself! This is the reason newbies will have square circles until they get some practice. Diagonals are best to do with a ruler.

Archived