Glitzy shimmering thread

Am I correct in assuming that threads such as a rayon or Highlights should not be used as the main thread in a quilt?

I have a customer who is bringing me a 50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars quilt that she did as a swap on the internet. It is truly fabulous! She really wants me to use a thread that sparkles and is glitzy. (the main background of the quilt is black)

I would love some advice as to what kind of thread would be appropriate to use. I believe that this quilt will be used as a wall hanging therefor receiving minimal washing.

I anyone has done one of these quilts your quilting ideas/advice would also be appreciated!!!! I am SOooooooooo looking forward to this challenge, but am a little nervous as well!

Thanks! tammy in AZ

You can use Highlights for your whole quilt it is perfectly fine. Rayon from my understanding would not be the best choice as it is a weaker thread.

I would be careful choosing thread for this type of quilt. If it is very colorful I would down play the thread. You would not want busy piecing or a large variety of colors to compete with the thread. This can be very confusing to the eye, and not flatering to the quilt.

This is my best advice.

Cheryl

I have used Rayon thread in some of my quilts from a company called Stylus and was told that only thing wrong with rayon if it is bleached when washed will rot the thread. Like who do you know that bleaches their quilts?? Their thread is equal to that of 40 weight threads of poly thread and is used in sewing blue jeans. I have used it in some of my quilts and have no problems with it breaking. I would just make sure what weight it is. You can see some of the ones I've done by clicking on this link: http://community.webshots.com/user/qfairy

There is one with a black backing and I used gold rayon thread on it. I think it was one with a small wall haning and oriental fan on it.

:)

Thanks for the advice ladies!

Cheryl.......I agree with you about downplaying the color of the thread. I really think that the pieced stars should be the "star" of the quilt. However my customer really likes sparkle! I was thinking that if I used a thinner thread that it would be better.

How does Superior RAINBOW hold up in a quilt? Can it be used as the main thread?

Tamela,

you can usr Superior Rainbows as well as Highlight as the main thread in a quilt, they both do very well and I guess they have the same thread qualities. I use them both in top and bobbin, and they do very well.

Even if you down play the thread color choice, these threads have a very beautiful shimmer and shine.

You can also do your SID etc. with whatever type of thread you usually use and then add the "fun" threads as you have the quilt stabalized. I've done a couple for grand-kids that way and they seem to hold up through lots of washings and toddler abuse quite well. I have a 5yo granddaughter and 4 yo triplet grandsons who love their quilts.

I LOVE Rainbows!!! Use it on top and in the bobbin and it quilts beautifully!! I also use lots of the new Sulky Blendables, and King Tutt. I have a rayon to try out called ECOFIL, has anyone tried that one? I'm not even sure who makes it, I need to stop back at that quilt shop and ask.

Archived