Picture Quilts

Well, I just tried the Printed Treasures and I was surprised! What I want is the picture transferred to the fabric, not one layer of fabric applied on top of another, which is what this is. Of course, nowhere does it mention the word transfer, which should have been my first clue. I didn't even know enough to ask for exactly what I wanted, except that I want what Kinko's does for $10.00. Is there no cheaper way?

So now the proper question is: Who makes the best product for transferring pictures to fabric?

Ann,

I would agree re irons. I've taken a few Sharon Shamber classes, and she says so too. She reverts back to the cheaper Black and Decker irons, with the old fashioned shiny plate. Simple but effective. I think some of the irons aren't as hot as fabric has changed and iron mfrs. don't want liability issues if they can help it. I've always found that the worst irons were in hotel rooms, probably for that same reason.

Also, a few of the little travel irons can get hot. I actually prefer those when pressing seams when piecing.

Bobette, if you are going to print on just fabric with the Wonder Under, it will probably not hold up to washing for long if you do not treat with Bubble Jet Set before you print on the fabric. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I have a longarm customer who did what you are doing, and it ran she tried to wash it.

I also like Printed Treasures. I haven't tried the Magic whatever, but might do that, as it sounds like it is cheaper than Printed Treasures.

Also, I have a recipe that a friend of mine swears by using fabric softner and some other things. Basically a home made version of Bubble Jet Set. I don't remember right now where it is, but I'll post it as soon as I find it, if anyone is interested.

So now I've had another thought. What I wanted this for immediately was to make a label for the back of a quilt that is already finished. By ironing this label onto a piece of fabric and then having to sew it onto the back of the quilt ends up making three layers of fabric where the label is, plus it's practically impossible to hand sew through these two layers. So my next question is - - perhaps you are not doing the second half of the procedure of pressing it onto a fabric, but just using the fabric as it comes out of the printer? ? It made a very nice copy, and would only be one extra thickness instead of two. Someone said Printed Treasures was softer than other transfers. It didn't seem very soft, but evidently others are worse.

Archived