sharp or ballpoint MR needles?

I would think it would be just like for sewing....ballpoint if you are on a fabric you don't want to "cut" and sharp for fabric it won't hurt...I would use sharp. Ballpoint would be more for - ick - double knit.....okay...I was wrong last time, lets see how I did this time ;)

Nope Mary Beth you are right on...you need the sharp point to get through the fabrics...

where a ballpoint will go through but it will be like using a dull knife to cut bread. Do-able, but harder, and you might get some tearing on the back side...as well as batting pokies.

Ball point was intended for knit - the needle would slip between the fibers instead of cutting them and making a "run." Sharp was intended for cottons and most natural fabrics. Tweens were made for people who couldn't make up their minds. And that's a fact!!:P:P:P See, my 5 years of college in textiles was good for something. :P

Starla...you still need to puncture the other two layers so I would still consider a sharp. Ball point needles are best used only in clothes making and with sheer fabrics, or double knit type stuff.

Now if you were making a totally T-shirt quilt with no batting or another layer of double knit in the sandwich I MIGHT consider a ballpoint. But, I have never encounter a quilt like that so I don't even have any ballpoints on hand.

The only needle I use regardless of the quilt fabric, thread or the batting is a 3.5 MR-Singer needle. Yes, even the finer threads like Bottom Line and So Fiine..and that also includes Monopoly.

Archived