Quilt made with antique blocks

Hello,

I'm looking for advice before meeting with a customer on Saturday. She called me last night and has a quilt she has made with antique dresden plate blocks she appliqued on a quilt top - I think unbleached muslin. She has never had a quilt professionally quilted before...I am a newbie and have never quilted anything with antique fabric/blocks in it. I told her I would take a look at her quilt, talk to her about what she wants, and let her know if I thought I could do it, or if she should take it to another quilter in our area who has much more experience (and a very long waiting list) than I do. My question is - what should I consider when I meet with her? I have only done e2e quilting on customer quilts to date, and really didn't want an antique to be my first custom quilt! If she doesn't want to pay for custom quilting, would an edge to edge design in a very fine white or off-white thread look ok over dresden plates? I use Compuquilter, so working around applique blocks is a huge step up for my skills.

This forum has been so much help to me since getting Millie. Thank you for all the "hand-holding" you've already done -

Lore

Hi Lore,

working with vintage fabric is really no different that todays fabrics when it comes to long arm quilting. MaryBeth I think did one not to long ago for a customer and I think she used the baptist fan template. It looked really nice. I quilt exclusively in vintage fabric for myself and find it really nice to handle. Lets see if MaryBeth will see this and respond. Whatever you do I'm sure will turn out beautiful. Be bold...

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Shana,

I did do some searches in Webshots and found it very helpful to see what other quilters have done. Thank you for the suggestion. I was in panic mode after taking the call last night, but after thinking about it - if she was going to drag this quilt through her DSM and SID (until it got too big for her to manage) - I'm sure I can do better than that with Millie. I think I'll be sweating bullets the whole time it's on my frame though!

Nora,

I appreciate the encouragement! I was concerned about the fabric being fragile, but if they are appliqued on new muslin, the muslin should give them some support. I have an old quilt that was in my husband's family, and some of the fabrics are almost worn away, while others are still quite strong! We slept under this old quilt when we were first married, but now it has been retired as an ornament. :)

Lore

Archived