transfering pattern

I have a customer that has a round 8ft bed and has sent me moire satin fabric and wants roses and bows whole cloth pattern on it. I have the pattern. This fabric is to dark to us a table light to tranfere the pattern and if you use water on it the ribbon pattern on the material and the satin sheen will disappear. My question is how to get the pattern on the quilt top. I have thought of using the backing as the top, which is polly/cotton. But that does not help getting the pattern on the material because the backing is to dark to use a table light. Any body out there have an idea.

Debra

If you want to mark the pattern on the backing fabric and it is dark you can trace the pattern with a RED marker then the pattern will show throw even black fabric using your table light. I would suggest a white "CLOVER" wash away PEN. This is very easy to remove from the fabric with a damp cloth, I have never had to soak it in water to get the white marks out. Then you could quilt it from the back with no problems. I do all my thread art on jet black fabric and the red lines show throw just fine. If the backing fabric is red... I might try a green marker but if is any other colour the red will work great. Hope this helps, I know it will take longer to trace the pattern with red marker then retrace it with the white wash away pen but if it works it's worth it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. I'd love to see a photo when it's done.:cool:

Sorry I just read over my post and I want to be sure that I am clear on the marking, of course you are using the red marker on your paper pattern, and the white wash away on the fabric. :mad:my first post makes it sound like you are tracing twice on the fabric so I just wanted to clear that up right away. :cool:

I am a newbie and NO expert but before my longarm when I would quilt with my Bernina on a few occasions I used the very light water soluable stablizers to get my design on the quilt top. ( it was a small top). There is of course a clear and there is a very light paper like that is water soluable. Before binding it can be soaked and all of it will dissolve. Lay flat to dry and then bind. I haven't used this technique on anything large but it does work. I use the water soluable for alot of projects and never has it harmed the fabric in any way. Just a idea from a beginner. It is what I would do once I discussed it with my customer. This way there is no pricking for paper pieces.

Thank you all for the info. I can use these ideas on other quilts coming up. You are just great. I don't know what "birth" the back of the quilt is, and I don't understand how to quilt on batting. I hope that is right. The batting is 11oz. poly. And where do you get this clover wash away pen? I can't use it on this material because it can't be touched with water. Thank you all for all your ideas I'm going to give them a try.

Debra

you could also trace the pattern with a blacklight pencil and then use a black light to stitch by.

THe white Clover pens are great too. It takes a few seconds for them to appear, but they work wonderfully and the marks come out really easily, even with steam.

Sara

BLACK LIGHT PENCIL............. keep reading posts referring to it but don't know where to get one.

Are there several brands to choose from & is there a particular brand that is preferred? Thanks for your help.

You can order little boxes of black light crayons from APQS. They only show up under black light. Use the red marker on the pattern like Sue suggested, then trace over it on your black backing fabric with the crayon, put in your black light and quilt with the backing side up. Turn off the light and the marks disappear! :)

I've always found the black light PENCILS break before I can even get them sharp. Finally gave up on them, but the crayons work great and can be sharpened with a crayon sharpener.

Thanks to all for these great ideas. They will work on alot of other quilts as well as this one. I think I will be using them many times from here on out. You gals are all wonderful. By the way have any of you worked on moire satin befor. Is it very forgiving? Just wondered what I am getting myself into.

Debra:D

Archived