Mitered Borders

Sams Mom

I just finished a top with mitered borders which I have only tried once before. I used the glue & sew method and it worked out great.

Because you aren't working with a set border length, how do you ensure that you don't have extra length (like the sew and hack off the end so it will wave method).

I just fixed a customer quilt (because now I am an expert having done a mitered border), that had way too much border to lay flat.

Just wondering how the real experts handle mitered bordes. Hope this makes sense.

Donna

Originally posted by Sams Mom

Because you aren't working with a set border length, how do you ensure that you don't have extra length (like the sew and hack off the end so it will wave method).

Donna

Donna, I also have always wondered the same thing. So, I will stand aside and wait for the "experts" to give us their adivce on measuring for a mitered border.

I measure the center just like for regular borders and transfer that measurement to the border, placing a pin in the border for each end of the center, leaving overhang for the miter. Pin and stitch as usual, although I start 1/2" down from the top and backstitch to 1/4"

I measure the internal width, length etc & average as we do for normal borders. Then I halve it.

Fold the border fabric in half, using the above measurements now mark where the length of the border is. Lining up your 45 degree of the ruler with the fabric edge from the marked point cut the border fabric at the angle. This includes the seam allowances so when sewing on start and stop sewing 1/4".

Then when sewing the actual corners sew from the outside to the centre and pin before stitching. Don't pull - it is a bias edge you are working with.

I have the Marti Mitchel Mitred border ruler which is 8" wide and cut on the 45 degree so I am lucky.

I love mitred corners! Mine don't wave but others do.

Lyn

Archived