Help needed for Our Lady

Here is a customer's quilt that is called Our Lady of Guadalupe. It is only 32" x 62". I want to put rays out from her head in gold thread, but unsure of how to place the rays to make the most impact. Would you place the rays all around her? For her body I will do a couple of different fillers. This is made mostly using batiks. There is a little angel on the bottom below her feet. For the angel's wings my client used a fabric that resembles wings-pretty clever. I will just echo the pattern.

post--13461901797331_thumb.jpg

I echo Sheri's sentiments and try to keep the "stained glass" look around Our Lady.

I like the idea of gold thread (not having worked with metalics that is easy for me to say!!)

How about a Halo of squiggly circles that are echoed and radiating out but in a not so uniform manner?

If you really want to go with the radiating lines, I would still like to see them not so uniform and different lengths and widths. More like thread art then straight line quilting.

Regards,

I do very much like the quilt design and far more experienced quilters on this chat will have plenty of advice.

Regards,

Hi Susan:

You're first instinct was right...Our Lady of Guadalupe is always surrounded by rays...usually golden. If you take a look at Google Image Search, you can see several examples. Good luck, Nancy in Tucson

I was thinking Google, too. I think this is a ver traditional image and there have got to be a LOT of pictures. I agree with the rays being gold. I think your customer has kept this very traditional and I'm sure it bares a lot of meaning for her so be careful what you do here and do look at some pictures first!

Archived