Mandarin Cream Delight

This recipe is from Cooking Light. It is tasty and low in fat calories assuming you don't eat it all at once:D It is also quick and easy to make.

Mandarin Cream Delight

Crust

2 C reduce fat vanilla wafers, crushed

2 Tbsp butter, melted

Combine and press into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 7 to 10 minutes until light in color. Cool.

Filling

2 (11 oz) cans mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained saving 1/2 cup of juice

1/4 C sugar

24 oz fat free sour cream

2 (3.4 oz) pkgs. of instant vanilla pudding

1 (8 oz) container fat free cool whip

Drain oranges and save 1/2 Cup of the juice (as mentioned above). Combine sugar, pudding, sour cream, pudding and juice in a bow. Blend well: stir in oranges. Spread over crust and topp with cool whip. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. A little longer is better.

Serves 16

Enjoy!

Carmen,

That sounds good too:D

Shana,

I'll see if I can come up with something quilt related, but it won't be for a while. I am trying to catch up on all the oldies...hmm...but I am currently putting the borders on an envelope quilt.

Here's my complete recipe:

Crust:

1 pkg. Oreo cookies, crushed

1 stick butter, melted

Mix butter and cookies and press into 9" baking pan. I don't bake the crust. And, I use sugar free Oreo type cookies.

Filling:

1 - 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1/2 cup orange juice concentrate

1/2 cup sour cream

1 can mandarin oranges

1 8 oz. carton Cool Whip

Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add milk, orange juice and sour cream and beat until smoth. Fold in Cool Whip. Spoon 1/2 of filling onto crust. Arrange 1/2 of orange slices on the filling. Pour remaining filling into pan and garnish with remaining oranges.

Chill 4 hours or longer before serving.

I've made this with real whipped cream sweetened with Splenda instead of Cool Whip and it is --- well ----just unbelievably good!!!!!!! But if you do that you don't want your cholesteral checked the next day! :P

Cool Whip is a frozen already whipped topping that can be used instead of whipping cream. No comparison in taste - hands down, sweetened whipped cream is the taste test winner! Tge Cool Whip has fewer calories and less fat and I think that is why people use it. Years ago I cleaned out my freezer and dumped a bowl of Cool Whip in the sink and left it. The next morning it was still there in the same shape as I left it - it didn't melt! That should tell us something about the product!:o

Cheryl, I tried your sour cream corn bread and it was yummy! I'll try this one cause I'm sure it will be even better!

Thanks

Jenny, Stay away from Cool Whip. It's one molecule away from plastic! Real whipped cream is the best.

Cheryl,

Can I substitute banana cream pudding and use bananas instead of oranges? Just a thought. And maybe garnish with fresh strawberries?:P

Bonnie,

I don't know why you couldn't substitute banana cream pudding and use bananas...sounds good to me. My only thought is keeping the bananas from turning brown. The sour cream might do that as I think it is acidic, but I could be wrong. Do bananas turn brown in banana cream pie and are they treated before they are put in the pie? Fresh strawberries would make a wonderful garnish!

Glad you enjoyed the cornbread. It is still my favorite after 20 years.

Bonnie,

I am thinking of trying chocolate pudding with the oranges and a oreo crust!:D:D

Carmen,

Thank you for sharing your recipe. I am going to write it down.

I prefer real whipping cream. Jess, my DD, suggested using the whip cream in a can...I may give that a try to keep the calorie count down.

The best way to keep bananas from turning dark is------EAT THE WHOLE THING!:P:P

I have a friend who buys bananas to make pudding and won't allow the family to eat them because she's saving them. Her children grew up not liking fresh bananas because they never got to eat a fresh one!:o

I do think a banana pudding such as this one wouldn't last long enough for them to turn brown--all kidding aside.:P:P

Archived