just a question

I have often wondered and at one point I found a video online somewhere but didn't watch it and now I can't find it (big breath in here LOL) how do you do a pantograph inside the body of the quilt so you can do your borders separately? When I do pantos I always do the whole quilt so running on and off isn't a problem. Is there a trick or am I asking a really stupid question?:)

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

Not a stupid question at all...

What I do is mark the edge of the panto area (inside edge of the border) with blue painter's tape on the bed of the machine. Just like I usually mark the edge of the quilt. Then as am following the panto, when I get to the tape I run in the ditch to where the line of the panto comes back into the body of the quilt. It takes a bit of eye-hand coordination to glance from the panto to the quilt and some patterns are better than others for this. Getting a good edge spot in the panto can be a real help. It's not my favorite thing to do, and I charge extra for it, but it can be done.

Tracey:

Once your quilt is loaded, just put some blue painters tape on your plastic (that goes over your panto) in the place where your center body ends... on both sides. When you reach that, start over with your next row. You'll have to watch carefuly for when you get to the bottom...

Another thought & something I have done is to mark the border line with the painters tape as indicated in the other replies. Hopefully you have placed your panto under the plastic mat on your table. Then using a dry erase pen, redraw the beginning and end of your panto so it s pleasing to the eye and also so you will have just one start & end point at each end. This will avoid having to SID. Using this method , you can start and end the panto a little in from the borders and this will make it easier - you won't have to watch the panto quite as closely. Using this method, do a dry run before starting to stitch each row to verify where you end stitch will be. You will have to backtrack or tie off threads with each pass of the panto, but to me it is worth it - looks nice and I would rather tie threads than constantly run to the front of the machine for the SID.

Tracey, I do what Meg does. I have one client who always has about a one inch sashing and then the boarder so with all her quilts when I use a panto I have to redraw the beginning and end. I much prefer to tie off my threads than do a SID.

Lib

Archived