help still needed with panto pricing

Starla

I am still struggling with panto pricing

Density = more money

does that mean how tight the pattern is or how much of the quilt is quilted?

For instance

ABC's 11" in by Dave Hudson ...looks medium density so 0.0175 sq in

Seaside 16" by Kathie James is a large pattern but it quilts alot of the quilt 0.02 sq in

hopefully my attachments worked

I would appreciate your advice

Thank you

Starla

post--13461901904784_thumb.gif

Starla,

It looks to me like you are on the right track. Usually Dave Hudson patterns are more involved, but I think you are right on with this one. And yes, you are right, the more dense the quilting/pattern...the more you charge.

My question is...when you cover the quilt with lots of freehand and charge .02/sq inch...how can you do that?? I know people who do.

Density of the pattern should constitute the price...IMHO :)

Mary Beth-

Are you saying that .02/sq inch for all over freehand is too much or too little? I am kinda new at this pricing game too and I can't even do a panto yet-need more ppp. I have only done the freehand custom or all over.:o

Here is a thought--place the simplest panto you own and do a dry-run of one pass at a moderate speed (machine not running). Don't race--just the pace you would use when stitching. Time yourself. Try this with several of your pantos and you will see the difference in speed and thus the difference in price for each one. More dense=more time=more thread yadda yadda.:D Then price accordingly. Maybe mark your pantos with blue/red/green markers to keep them sorted by price.

I would rather do a penny-and-a-half free motion overall any day rather than a panto, but some things aren't possible freehand (like bucking broncos and cowboy hats--you know those rodeo/cowboy quilts need that panto!!):P

When I first got pantos I put each one on the machine and did a one pass to learn the design and one pass to time it. I wrote that on the end of my panto's so I could calculate out how long they would take to do and based my prices on those. I originally started with .015 & .0175 for most pantos but there are now some that I charge .02 and I don't feel guilty about it either! There are some very dense designs out there that take a lot of attention to get them right.

Originally posted by Bonnie

I believe she was saying you aren't charging enough....the more dense the design regardless if its freehand or a guided panto...it should be higher.

Did I read that right Mary Beth.....:)

Thank you....you speak good Ozarkian :D:P

Yes, I know of a few quilter's who quilt the daylights out of a quilt - freehand. It looks beautiful, but they don't chage enough. I just think the more dense the quilting, the more you need to charge. After all, you are using more thread, more of you time, more of your designs.

If the panto is easy and kind of spaced on the quilting...charge your minimum. If it is like one I had...color coded so you could find your way around...charge $10/sq in:P:D

Can I throw my two-cents in. Over the last couple of years I have been charging by the hour. I have a digital timer that I use. You can charge what you want for the more involved patterns and less for the more simple. You decide on the rate to charge. Regards, zeke.................

Archived