Classes at APQS

Hi everybody:

I'm taking the APQS classes next week in Iowa - both the one day classes on quilting (beginning and advanced) and the two day maintenance class. Wondering what you'all's experience has been: mostly what I should take or prepare for....

Even comments on what to do in the two cities (towns?) would be appreciated.

TIA.

Donna

from Wine Country, CA

Hi Donna. There are a few quilt shops pretty close to the APQS showroom in Des Moines. Creekside quilting is only a mile or so away. Definitely go visit it. Other quilt shops within a few miles are Quilt Block and Quilt Junction. I think there is also a quilt guild meeting next week in Ankeny if you wanted to check it out.

Where are you staying at? There are 3 malls here. Jordan Creek mall would be worth visiting. It tends to be somewhat pricey, but it's fun to window shop. There are also some good restaurants around the complex.

You could also check out Living History Farms. It's very close to the Machine Shed restaurant which is a great place to have dinner.

I assume you are taking maintence classes in Carroll? It's fairly small town and I've only been there once (for maintenance classes) so I don't know what there is to do.

Hope this helps.

When I was in Carroll for the maintenance class last year I managed to do a very good job of stimulating their economy. There is a very nice yarn shop in the central business area that has a small quilt shop in the back. One person in the class found a quilt store in a tiny town west of Carroll but when we went to check it out it was closed. I heard that they had a very large supply of civil war reproduction stuff.

Have a good time in your classes. I enjoyed meeting the other quilters in my class. Also you can get replacement parts for your machine without paying the shipping.

Pamela

Thanks for all the comments. And yes, I do have a machine. Bought a Lenni named "Rosalind" last June.

The only spare parts I was thinking of getting are a bobbin case and some pigtails. Already bought a packet of the aluminum bobbins. Really only thinking of getting the bobbin case because when I am winding a new bobbin, sometimes I leave the case on the table or the quilt, and I can envision one of my cats taking off with it ("Little Guy, I know it's you!")

And Laurie: I'm starting up a mini-group in my quilt guild (Moonlight Quilters of Sonoma County) for L-A and frame people. You could join too!

onwards!

The quilt store that was in with the yarn store, is now closed. BUT, there is another one on Hwy 30 east. If they do the classes like they did in March, they are held in a hotel on the north side of town. If you get to go to the APQS's bulding, it is just about a half mile west on the highway. It's called Threads. 712-792-4073

The store in the small town west of Carroll (Arcadia). Should be open, if you call her, she will usually open up, her store if she knows when you might be visiting. 712-689-2446, Or her house number 712-689-2609. It's called Tip Top Quilts.

And if you are adventurous, there is a store in Lake City, IA, called Towne Square Quilt Shopp. A 30 minute drive north east of Carroll. 712-464-7477.

And another on store in Jefferson, IA, which is east of Carroll. Called In Stitches. 712-386-2014.

Around here, usually if you call the store and ask them to be open for you, they usually do it.

Let know if you need any more info.

Ann

Originally posted by donna

.....The only spare parts I was thinking of getting are a bobbin case and some pigtails. Already bought a packet of the aluminum bobbins. ..

And Laurie: I'm starting up a mini-group in my quilt guild (Moonlight Quilters of Sonoma County) for L-A and frame people. You could join too!

Hi Donna! I lived in Novato for 14 years before moving up here in 1976, so the wine country is close to my heart. I love Novato and the area north of SF. It's so pretty up there. My uncle lives in the town of Sonoma. I know that Laurie lives in Vallejo and Angie (member name Sparkle) lives in Santa Rosa, so there you have it... quite a few quilters right near by.

I also wanted to say WELCOME! :) And to tell you if you are getting spare parts, it's always good to have at least two bobbin cases, maybe 3 because if you drop one it could bend a little bit and not work properly. Ask me why I know this? :D

Have fun with your Rosalind.

Archived