Pricing for commissioned quilts

Hi everyone,

I need some advise and couldn't think of a better place to get it than here. Even though I rarely post myself, I read your posts daily, and love seeing the work of all you talented people. You truly inspire me!

I've sewn all my life, but only started quilting when I retired. It was never my intension to make a business out of it, but it has become my passion. I don't even know how many quilts I've made for friends and family, but lately there have been a number of people asking me to make quilts for them. I have made a couple for people I don't even know (friends of my relatives) and only charged them for the materials I used. I love making them, but I know I'm really losing money because I don't get reimbursed for my gas for shopping, thread, tools and other incidentals, not to mention my time. Do any of you have any guidelines for determining how much to charge for making a quilt from start to finish? Any help you can give me will be VERY much appreciated. :)

I charge by the square inch.

.01 is basic meader(free hand) or pantos that are simpler

.015 is Advance(advanced pantos or2 or more different designs)

.025 is custom

binding 20 to 25

bia binding

other time consuming task will be added.

labels

batting

If I do a repair I charge by the hour(10.00)

Different areas charge differently. It all balances out depending on the cost of living. Check out your competition on their Pricing.

Archived