"The dog chewed just the binding."

I had made a grandbaby quilt for my friend that her husband told me, "The dog chewed just the binding. Can you fix that?" Well, it was more than the "binding" AND I had made the quilt two sided. Here's what I have to fix. I was pleased to see the quilt again because it's been washed lots and I know it's been put to good use until now.

post--13461901951492_thumb.jpg

Cindy,

Well the doggie enjoyed it too I'm sure! LOL those puppys can be a pain! The first quilt I made for my son was a twin and we had a new puppy who always slept with my son. One night I heard a strange noise and got up to investigate. The puppy was having a chewing feast! She ate the middle of the quilt and the binding! I was so mad I just walked out of the room. I still have the quilt with the holes in it! Son is now 26 and this happened when he was 4! LOL we can laugh about it now! It is always good to see a quilt that is well loved! Good luck on the repair!

You stated that its a reversable quilt....i would remove the stitches and fabric on both sides back far enough to insert new fabrics and then reapply the binding...if you need to use different fabrics, I would use some from the same color family and it will look repaired, but it will at least be intact.

Thanks, Heidi. I just hope I have enough of the material to mend it. Now the real problem is finding it in my scrap stash! They have 5 dogs in the house. Of course it was the biggest newest dog that feasted. The husband won't get his flames quilt I made him out just because he doesn't want it chewed on. Too bad because I'd really like for him to get some use out it instead of just putting it away somewhere.

My mending will more than likely be by hand and then quilt like crazy over the top of it to keep it in place. :D

I have not had a dog eat a quilt, but years ago my sister put the two christmas cakes I made in in the back of the car where her dogs were, and one of her little cocker spaniel ate 3/4 of it. i think it was a little tipsy afterward, never mind a bloated tummy.

The only thing I can think of is, could you cut away the damaged area and then re-bind the quilt.

Good luck with the repair, and please post pictures when done.

I have a fun idea to fic it. Cut out a doggy shape like a face or a little body with a tail. quilt it with some thin batting and then kind of make a sandwich where the dog hole is and stitch it down with a pretty stitch. A star or other shape would work too. Make it fun like a happy face or something to remember the event. It would be easy to do.

Archived