NQR - Disablity Apology - an amazing conversation!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kreacher I think Kenna has it right. You can either choose to control the disease or let the disease control you. This doesn't mean that you can just ignore the disease and it will go away, rather you can decide whether it will completely deflate your WILL or if instead you decide to be strong and persevere in spite of it! There are some that have these diseases and it leaves them completely powerless, depressed, feeling as though they can't do anything about it so why try and then there are others like Kenna who turn lemons into lemonade! Same holds true that some look at the glass half empty while others look at it as half full. Kenna has the right idea. Having a positive, upbeat attitude is a much better way to go. You go Kenna!!!!

I have read this thread with interest. Years ago our daughter received SSI + $100 from the state - she started receiving these funds when she was about 5 years of age. Her medical bills ran up to $11,000 a week at times & insurance certainly did not cover it all - I was always robbing Peter to pay Paul trying to stay afloat. To get these funds, there was a lot of paper work we had to fill out and she had to meet X number of criteria and she met X++. The funds didn't amount to much but it did help pay for trained sitters so I could get out occasionally and some of her meds. Some thought it was horrid that she received any money because she was so young and had never and would never work. Guess what - my husband worked - I couldn't anymore due to the fact that Kelley needed me at home but we as her parents had been putting money into the system. Anyway, even though we were one of the lucky ones to receive any money, the system was not good and the people we had to deal with were sometimes just plain rude with no compassion. I always hated going into the SSI office because of the way I was treated sometimes. I used to think that some of these people should have to walk in my shoes for just a day and they might understand. Moral of the story - don't judge unless you have walked the walk.

I hope the best for you Kenna & send lots of hugs. It can be so hard to keep the fight up and your spirits positive but it looks like that is what you are doing. WTG!! I am so glad that you have a doctor that you can work with. So important. We are behind you & for those that have a less than positive attitude - so be it. Hopefully they don't have issues that put them in a serious state of affairs - they might just have to eat crow ........

Yes, I think that is what Kenna meant. That we all have choices and we all have power and we can choose how we deal with things. It's all about attitude. Mind over matter. We can overcome many things if we have determination in our mind. Consider the power of prayer. Look at people like Lance Armstrong who dealt with cancer and still continues to win Tour de France. The overwhelming pain he endures yet he still achieves his goals and success. Sometimes I wonder what goes on inside his mind and what drives him.

Archived