NQR - Disablity Apology - an amazing conversation!

WOW, I really painted a target on myself whith this post. I'm not going to ask that it be removed because I don't think that there is anything here that should not be here. Maybe it will help someone.

I asked for emails and I got them. Unfortunatly none of them were at all helpful or pleasant. I have not replied to any of them, and have blocked the senders..

I sincerely apologize to anyone here that I may have offended in previous posts or in this one. That has never been my intention.. I do not apologize for the disease that I have, and I'm sorry for anyone who is of the mind set that I should, and I will continue to pray for those in need.

I am removing my email address,

ORIGINAL POST:

Would like anyone with info on this to please email me

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disability seems to be a hard thing to get if you are hard working! Don't mean that to sound so bad but it always seems t ome that those that know how to abuse the system do and get away with it and those that can't don't. My mom tried and failed to get disability. A co-worker decided it would be funny to pull the chair out from under her on a hard concrete floor and she had major back problems. They gave her chiropractic care for life but that was it. I've heard from others the way to win is to hire a lawyer. They told my mother to do that too but she didn't want to waste the money.

I have to chime in here and say that yes there are a lot of scam artists out there but many are in a situation not of thier own choosing.

My daughter had cancer and was amputated right leg above the knee at age 11. Do you know that a prosthesis for her costs between $25 and $50 thousand dollars and needs to be replaced around every five years! When she could work the insurance available to her would sometimes cover only $5,000 a year-big whoop! The chiropractor and pain management for her ran hundreds a month and she usually had to miss work to go to the Dr.

She has since been qualified as being 100% disabled and still has to pay quite a bit for her medical care-out of the small living amount she gets. People on SSI and Medicare do not live high on the hog. They usually need the care they get.

I wish there were a way to just get a hand up not a hand out-she could possibly work if she could get decent insurance that wouldn't cost her every penny she makes!

How would you like to have to pay the equivilant of a new car every five years, just get it paid off and have to buy another one.

By the way, most attorneys that take on SSI cases do so for a portion of the back pay that SSI pays from the time you are considered disabled to the time you get qualified and that is the only thing it costs. My DD got qualified the first time around so didn't have to go this route.

Maybe some of you that read this don't make these snap judgments about people on SSI or ones that use a disabled parking permit but there are many that do and I say to know all the circumstances before making your mind up that people don't need what they use. Many times when Jen was a teenager and used her parking permit she would get awful stares-people assuming that she was perfectly healthy because she 'looked' like she was. Handicapped people have enough challenges in life without having to deal with ignorant folks too.

By the way...

When Jen was in cancer treatment the Make a Wish people came to see her and she told them to leave because she wasn't going to die and she didn't need their charity. There were also alot of benefits we could have received but did not because we could pay-I told them to give it to someone that needed it........

Not everyone takes everything they can get.

I certainly hope that nobody took my comments to mean that I think everybody on SSI are deadbeats! To the contrary. I think there is a time and a place for it. I am disgusted that people that have medical issues can't get care! In our country that should never happen. My point was more that people who need it get turned down and have to hire a lawyer while there are plenty that can get it and take full advantage of the system. I've seen so many people who get approved and really could work. then you have people like my mother who had so many medical issues from her accident that can't get a thing. My mother has to pay for all of her health insurance because after her husband died she moved more than 50 miles away and no longer qualified for health insurance. Before she was on medicare she was paying $800 a month just for the insurance and that doesn't include all her meds. She pays a ton now for her additional insurance so that she isn't faced with not receiving treatment. That means that her golden years aren't as golden. I'm just thankful she saved so that she can pay instead of suffering. It makes me sick that in our country you can't get the care you need. It also makes me sick to see people clog our ER's with non-emergency situations and not have to pay a penny. Just my two cents worth. Julia I'm sorry your daughter can't get her prosthesis...that just is not fair!

Heidi, I'm not offened, I promise. I'm sorry your mother has had a difficult time along with Kristina's. I went through that with my mother. There is temporary disability while you are retrained for another type of work that you ARE able to do. That is what I am looking at. I may ask for this post to be removed. I don't want every one upset.

Lovin' Julia!

I have to agree with Heidi on this one. There is a family that lives down the road from us and all 4 adults in the house are getting disability checks. That's the mom, the dad, and 2 adult sons. They have learned to play the system, big time. One time they were up here buying some eggs and the gal asked me if I was still working in Ripley. I commented something abotu not really liking my job. She told me that if I wanted to get on disability she would tell me which doctor to go to and what to tell them. I was shocked.

On the other hand, my father had two years of fighting before he got his, and he can barely walk. He can't stand in one place for more than 30 minutes or so, then his hips go out.

I think it is a wonderful thing, but it needs to be awarded to those who genuinely need it.

Kenna, I hope things get better for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Kenna and all who posted,

I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers with my comments, none of my comments were directed to anyone on this post. I just have gotten so many comments and stares when Jen uses any handicapped facility (like the motorized wheel chair at Wal-Mart). I just wish people in general were a little more thoughtful of their conclusions when no one knows the hadicap and it isn't readily apparent.

I agree whole heartedly with Heidi that in this country people are run to the poor house with health care bills and that isn't right. I do wish that the ones who do bilk the system were kicked out and the ones that need it would get the care they need at a reasonable cost. I am sure they don't want something for nothing-I know Jen doesn't mind paying her fair share but in most instances the costs are outageous.

Please accept my appologies if I sounded like I was mad at anyone on this forum. I am not. I guess sometimes I write more forcefully than I mean to. Sorry.

This struck a nerve after learning recently about someone that had been on disability for the past 20 some years for "panic attacks"! The family (except the hard working husband) had no idea of it and are just livid now that they know. All those years she claims she couldn't leave the house because of her panic attacks and therefore very rarely went anywhere. She couldn't go out to eat, go grocery shopping, etc. She became addicted to QVC doing most of her personal and gift shopping from there. Once she turned 65 and had to switch to SS (which she griped because she claims it is less money per month than her disability check), seems she "miraculously" got over her panic attacks and can now go anywhere and do anything she wants to. She's one of those in my opinion that didn't deserve disability benefits and robbed the system of $$ that should have gone to someone that needs it that can't get it. It's people like her that leave a bad taste in our mouths on the subject and then wonder why we tend to question those that are on it that "appear" to be normal that really deserve the assistance. (This is not intended to downplay those that are affected by panic attacks because I've experienced plenty of them, too, and they are no fun to go through.)

My heart goes out to those that really need and rightfully deserve the assistance, as if they don't have enough life issues to deal with.

Dear Kenna: I just got to this post, feel I must add a little. One of my younger brothers was born very low birth weight,premature in the 50's. He grew up to be classified as severely retarded. Our family was very supportive and we strove to show him the many things he could do, with his head held high. As an adult however it became apparent that to have the medical care he needed, he could not work a private job AND have enough for medical, so he became dependent on SSI (state of CA) Their rules stated he could not work. This really hurt his self esteem over the years.

The bottom line, the system is broke if we have people who want to work, to the extent they are able, and they cannot get the medical care they need, thru no fault of their own. This is the situation that really ought to be addressed.

I have the utmost respect for people who continue to work to the best of their abilities, and even more respect for the few individuals who make these jobs happen for them. I hope our medical system can be reformed to make it impossible for the deadbeats to gain access to funds, and that new programs that must be in place for the "least of us " be enacted.

Sincerely, Pat

Kenna, the bad responses you received were through email. That means who ever sent them did not want their names and opinions displayed here for us to see. Forget the bad things that were said to you. You were not out to offend. You just stated the world as it is through your eyes. Don't cry - let's quilt!!!!!! Love you girl!!!!:D:D:D

Thank you every one! IT's a new day and we have a wonderful holiday to prepare for. I know all this will work itself out one way or another. I believe I'll come out of it better than ever! Maybe someday I'll be ok with not working but not until I've used up every other possibility! I know thiere are those who jump on anyone they perceive as unable to defend themselves. I haven't had any other emails so I guess that's that, after I blocked them.

Oh Kenna! :( I am sorry you got some "unpleasant" emails after inquiring about disability? My goodness gracious this makes me sad that you were attacked when you asked a simple (very innocent) question. I know that you have suffered many long years with your rhumatoid arthritis. Bless you, Kenna. I can't imagine living with this terrible disease. You always have such a great attitude. I always pray that you can some day get a longarm quilting machine. You've dreamt of it for many years. You deserve to quilt with a machine because you can't do it with the pain in your hands. Take care and don't let those people who sent you nasty emails to get you down. Think positive. Things will be OK.

Anyway, I am sending you a hug. You are often in my thoughts, Kenna-babe.

Dear Kenna,

I am so sorry that a few people have responded in such a negative way to your original innocent question.

Am hoping that you get some practical information to answer that question.

Yes, enjoy this weekend, kiddo.... and quilt away!

Thanks Shana and Barbara. I'm fine! I haven't heard from any one else so I think all that is over. I guess I was just taken off guard because everyone here is always so helpful. I never imagined a reaction like that! Thank you for your kindness, I promise to pay it forward!

Another valuable resource is your state DPN (Disability program Navigator) they can guide you to many resources including benefits which are barely enough to live on, they should be able to even help you become partially employed with your disability and still keep benefits. I actually do disability training's to teach sensitivity and create opportunities for those who have a disability and wish to participate in their community through volunteerism. There are many great non profits in your community that can guide you.

I wish you luck living on ssdi is no easy task!

Kenna, I never read your original post and I'm so sorry for any horrible e-mails on a subject as sensitive as this! My only exposure to disability was when my late husband (an airline captain with almost 20,000 hours of flying time and 25 years of flying for the same airline) was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. The money we got monthly from SSDI barely paid his bills for his cancer, never mind our living expenses. He lived for two years after diagnosis and that amount of money was no where near the amount he paid in social security taxes. When he died the money stopped and I was out of luck. I can only hope you get the help you need. Someone should be able to use the money we put away in good faith.

Bless you and hugs, good luck.

Kenna, sorry you had to go through this. I didn't take your original post to be negative at all. Goes to show how some people can view something one way and others will see it another way. Because of this, I often wonder if the NQR posts are a good idea.

Kenna - I am just reading this now.... I take it you have RA??? NO fun at all!!! I get looks too when I take the elevator instead of the stairs.... I am only 40 (something) but the wear on my knees look like the bones of an 80 yr old. I am on the max. dose of anti-inflamitory drugs and such.... I have good days and bad days. Today?? - Bad - ice packs already..... get out the ACE bandage and icy-hot!!

So sorry about the nasty email!!! Some people are just that way! It has happened to me too before. I did the same thing, blocked them. But still the tears came.... why are some people that way?? I will never understand, I guess it is not my place but God knows. He is always watching.

My knee Doc. told me to "Never take the stairs, unless I have too" I need to make these knees last a few more years because I am "TOO YOUNG" for replacement surgery, it only last 10 - 15 years, and not "Bad enough" for it..... Sorry, but I would like to enjoy life NOW, and be able to kneel at my little girls bedside at night to tell her stories......

O.k. I am off my box now, sorry all - this just hit a very personal note with me in many ways.......

Lovin' you too - Kenna!!!! I enjoy reading your posts, please keep them comin' - Hope all works out for you.... "When one door closes, another opens".

Kenna, you are so sweet and it saddens me to know that there are people who blasted you for your question! :o

I know many people with disablities that they are managing for now, there may be a day when they can't work and I can only hope that there will be financial help in the form of disability insurance when it's needed.

You take care of yourself and don't let the nasty people bug you. It still amazes me what people feel that it's okay to say in an e-mail to someone they don't even know.

Don't judge someone until you walk a mile in their shoes!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! All of you are soooo kind!

For those of you who are still trying to figure this out, yes, I have severe rhuematoid arthritis. I'm 55 and this has apparently been with me since childhood, but it only showed up a little bit occasionaly. At 41 I started having what I call transient pain that would be in one joint or another for maybe a few minutes out of nowhere for no apparent reason and then disappear. It began to happen more often. By the time I was 42 I realized something was going on. Suddenly, one day my hand swelled up, then the other one, and boy, did they HURT! They got so swelled I could not close my hand or open it more than just enough to see them move. I didn't have hands, I had flippers! Then it showed up in my ankles, it looked like softballs were strapped to my ankles, and I crunched when I walked I had a job without insurance. The job I'd had when this hit had insurance and the minute things started swelling up I lost that one, I think they were afraid I'd blame them for it, but it was in retail and I couldn't do it in my condition anyway. All my savings, 401k, everything went very quickly paying living expences and Dr. bills trying to find out what was wrong. All of this is within a few months. One day my mother called from work to check on me, she knew I'd been on the couch when she left for work, she wanted to know if I'd ever "gotten up to go look for a job". Well, no, I had not, I was running a high fever and literally could not move any joint without crying out, and could not get up, much less walk, I had answered the phone by hitting the speaker button with my flipper. She worked in the office of a home health care agency. The nurses questioned her and sent her home to get me to the emergncy room. Sixteen hours later I got my diagnosis at University of Texas Medical Center - Galveston. At the time they provided indigent care, as humiliating as that word is that is what I was, unemployeed and uninsured, and unemployable overnight because of this disease. I got meds and could stay on them because of the program at UTMB, the students have to practice on someone, and it was me and the Dept.. Of Corrections prisoners. Remicade came out that year, the first biologic drug that worked on RA. Before that there were steroids and other things incuding Methotrexate, which was the one that worked best until that time. I was able to go back to work immediately upon leaving the hospital with meds but couldn't get anything except temp to hire with layoffs every 6 months. Companies run their offices that way so that they don't have to provide benefits. I finally back doored my way into my way into the job I've had for 9 years now by not telling them anything about the RA. Remicade kept going well enough that I could hide the RA even though my right hand was already starting to deform and I could no longer do 10 key. I was able to get insurance when they changed insurance companies and it was group sign up, basicly they had to take every one. POOF! Now I have insurance but now I have to pay a copay for Remicade to the tune of 400.00 every 8 weeks which ate the remaining reserve funds within a few months. Byebye Remicade! The company has been great, they've made every possible accomidation. I still climb the stairs several times a day, just because my knees are fine, and as long as I hang on my balance is good both up and down so I insist that I stay upstairs. My problem is I can't stand long to file so I do it sitting down, that's good for the bottom 3 drawers but not for the top ones, so another lady does those for me on top of her own. 10 key has been gone for years, I use a pencil with an eraser to dial the phone, and 8 hours a day with my hands cramped up holding a pen and typing has got to stop. My right hand won't type anymore, I jab around with one finger on that side of the keyboard. So my productivity level as negligible. I can stand longer as long as I can lean on something. I can walk short distances quickly, and slightly longer ones slowly, but beyond that I have to use my walker so I can stop and rest. I use it for the Houston show every year although now I go alone because I have to walk so slowly and stop so often that it's no fun for anyone including me if I have someone with me. I used to rent a scooter but it really hurts my shoulders to hold that raised position all day, it would be different if the handles were adjustable. Powerchairs aren't available to rent. I'm at the point where I have to find another way to support myself and SSI is not going to be the answer, no one can live off of that unless you have someone to pitch in with a place to live, a way to get around, utilities....blah, blah, blah. I've always been a responcible person. I am determined not to become dependant in any way. I will work and support myself. But I have to face the fact that I am no longer able to be a part of the general workforce. I will have to employ myself. That works for me. My Dr. Is amazed that I still work at all, I don't go to him complaining about pain because the meds eliminate that as long as I can get the right ones. They do not stop the progress of the diseasen but they do slow it down and stop most of the pain. He looks at my hands and asks me if I'm sure that they don't hurt! Most of the time they don't because I rest them, don't strain them, and I'm careful to take care with them.

This is my long, long story. I've had enough U2U's that I thought I should just spit it out so everyone is educated. I think that if more people were aware of the insidious diseases like this one then there might be more understanding about disabled parking, people who waddle when they walk and it's not because they are fat, sometomes they are fat because they can't walk. I think people might not tell someone to smile, stop frowning if they knew what pain lines are and what causes them. I think if people knew what medications do to the rest of your body they might not comment. About missing teeth or skin issues, or bald patches. They might understand when you don't want to shake hands or be hugged, even at church, not because you don't need a hug, just because it hurts and people kinda freak out when they take your hand and it feels like a crooked, bony claw.

This is reality for me and hundreds of thousands of people IN THIS COUNTY, not just in Africa, or Honduras or somewhere.. I thank God I am in this country, in many other countries and I would have been warehoused somewhere to rot. Or left on the street or something. We've all seen the commercials. I have no words to express how grateful I am that I was born in the USA and how proud I am of my country and what the people of this country do to help others all over the world. But there is much more that could be done right here at home. I'm not talking hand outs. I'm talking hand ups. I'm talking about enabling people to take care of themselves when the ability to do so is right there just beyond reach and they have no way to touch it much less get a grip on it and just start. I'm saying welfare is not the be all end all, and that not every one is a lazy, no good bum. I'm also saying that those who are should be exposed and brought to account for it. I'm talking about people who want to stand up, take responcibility for themselves and their lives, and their wellbeing without being a drain on funds that could be used for those who can't do do for themselves no matter how you look at it. If they need a prosthesis get them the best one and turn them loose to go to work in a job that they can do. I do not know all the answers, and not every one is able to work even a little bit. But I can, I just can't do any of the jobs I've done in the past to a degree that I need to to live. I've been through two totally different careers now and both of them have equipped me for the next one. I cannot work 2 jobs, I don't need an education or a degree, foodstamps, sympathy, or a pat on the back. I could get all of that by crawling under a bridge for awhile. I'd rather work and be an example and an encourgement and a source of inspiration to others no matter what their situation. I'd rather work and put the lazy no good bums to shame who sit around and cry "I can't" when they damn sure can. My grandmother always said "can't never could do nothin' ." God bless my grandmother, she would be proud of me! I'd rather spit in the eye of whoever tells me I can't do something and tell them to hide and watch while I show them "can't". I might not be able to do it the same way, or as fast, and I might have to stop and rest a minute. Or thirty miinutes for that matter. Maybe I can't do this but I can do that other thing.. I will figure it out

So this is the deal and what I was trying to be discrete about when I first posted this thread.. I'm looking into SSDI on a temporary basis and exploring the possibility that I can get a handup to a new career. And since I've worked for 35 years, and paid my taxes, and my tithe, and into SS, then I do believe I have the right to take advantage of it, so I can continue to work,, pay my taxes, my tithe, and into SS. for another 20 years. I'm not mad! I'm not offened! I'm actually feelin' a tad fiesty! I wish the Smilies worked from my Blackberry because this post would be full of them! This is just a little taste of Texas determination and hardheadedness.

I do love you all, and treasure every post on this site and everyone who contributes here, and yes, questions from Newbies and wanna bes like me are contributions becaise everyone learns something from them.

Happy Indepenence Day! Be grateful we have it to celebrate....and REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!!!!

;)

PS: Susan, your info is very close to what I am looking for! Thank you!

Juli, find yourself another Doctor and get that knee replacement, girlfriend, age has nothing to do with it! Who says youb have to be 80 years old to need one?

AND, I'. Putting my email addres visible again and I double dog dare anyone to sneak up on me like that again!

WOOHOOOO!

Archived