Dual spool holder

Guest Linda S

Linda -

I'm not sure how the spool holder relates to bobbin tension, unless you have been trying to use spooled thread in your machine without it. Coned thread is made to unwind from the top, as it does when placed on the thread holder on a longarm. If you want to use some decorative thread that comes on a spool, you'll need a spool holder, as spooled thread is meant to unwind from the side of the spool Believe it or not, it can cause all sorts of thread tension problems if it doesn't unwind the correct way.

Linda

P.S. You can see a picture of the dual spool holder under the parts for the Hartley Fence.

Linda,

I just got one of these dual spool holders...and not a minute too soon. I thought I would go nuts using spool thread....it would twist up on itself, eventually getting caught in the tension thingy and then break. I have several "spools" of monopoly, and some really pretty verigated that I got as a gift, but everytime I put it on I got the dreaded twisties.

I tried to invent a holder to get by, but watching it became almost as bad as watching for the twisties, so I ordered the spool holder, then, convincing myself it was cheaper shipping to order the rest of the toys that I absolutly needed...the extended base and rulers and I really did need a spare bobbin case!!

So, until I can justify the Hartly fence I am set for a while.

Cheryl

OK, I see now what the spool holder is for. Why I couldn't figure that out from the name... I don't know. I haven't tried to use spools on my machine yet. Most of my thread is on cones. I, too, love tools! Don't we all? It does my heart good to see my husband come home with yet another fishing rod! I just smile and translate that into tools and fabric.

Happy sewing day!

Linda/9patch

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I love my dual CONE HOLDER it holds two full size cones and sits on top of the machine a little back from the tension knob. It saves me having to walk around the machine to change thread colours - particularly useful when I'm quilting sampler quilts.

Before I got it I thought, "nice thing for the quilter who has everything" now I think its a "must have".

Sue in Australia

Archived