HELP! Thread Wrapped around hook assembly

I am using so fine in my bobbin so fine on top and my bobbin thread keeps breaking (tension on bobbin is loose not too tight so this shouldn't be happening) but that is not my main concern. What is driving me nuts is there is a peice of thread wrapped around the hook assembly that I can't get loose or even rid of. How do I get the hook assembly off my 2005 Liberty so I can get rid of the thread and finish this quilt I have on my machine which of course I am in the middle of.

This also happened a few weeks ago with so fine in my bobbin but I was able to get the thread untangled and every quilt since (using bottom line in the bobbin has not given me any more problems) until today when I started using so fine in the bobbin.

Does anyone have instructions that they can e-mail me that they got from APQS that shows how to remove the hook assembly?

Thanks

My manual is from 2005, before they put in all of the detailed maintenance info. All of the how to stuff revolves around timming, loading a quilt, etc.. nothing about replacing parts, re-packing grease, changing the brushes or taking out the hook assembly.

and just my luck this all happened 30 minutes after APQS closed for the day :(

Thanks Heidi! you're a life savor :). I printed off the info and handed it to my DH :P

He was able to get the hook apart and a clump of thread just fell right off.

I don't know how thread was able to get wraped around that post that holds the bobbin/bobbin case in place in these machines but it reminds me of how thread gets suck in the fly wheel.

Well DH has my machine back together and is telling me to test it to see if anymore adjustments are needed.

Hi Joann,

Hope it never happens again---but, if it does you might want to try soaking-drenching the area with your machine oil, wait and then see if you can dislodge it with tweezers. The oil expands the thread, makes it very slippery and with good tweezers and a light you should be able to pick it right out.

Yes, after an evening of DH taking apart the hook assembly and putting it back together, testing it then hearing the needdle hit the hook (because it was not adjusted properly after DH put it back together) then readjusting the whole timming thing and retesting everything was back to normal and I was able to fininsh the rest of the quilt and it is off my machine now. :) Thanks again Heidi for all of your help.

Here is the quilt I was working on, the panto is swirl n' twirl

7%20July%2009-215%20Kathy%20Binegar.jpg

7%20July%2009-216.jpg

Angie,

The last time thread wrapped around the hook soaking it & using tweezers did work but this time when I tried it, it didn't. It was really wrapped around the thing pretty tight.

Too bad there isn't a device that can prevent this from happening like the fly wheel cover did for the fly wheel thread problem.

Today I plan on giving my machine a thorough cleaning and working on adjusting my wheels...my machine feels a little stiff after DH replaced one of my wheels earlier this week.

Hi Joann,

I am sorry you had this problem, but I am glad you posted because ironically I have been thinking about you (missing you) and was about to send an email to check on you. Glad you are up and running again. Are you enjoying summer months with the kids? When does school start? Are you counting the days yet?? :P

Hi Shana!

I haven't posted much over the summer because I have been pretty busy...business this summer has been pretty steady (which is not the norm). I have also been working on charity quilts for Project Linus, working on some of my own stuff, painting the kids bedrooms and trying to spend time in the pool everyday with the kids. :D

Back to school is comming fast, next week is meet the teachers days then 4 of my kids go back on 8/10/09. And my oldest starts college on 8/24/09 (that is if her student loan comes through in time...she has an academic scholarship but it doesn't cover the cost of the dorm or book fees). We can't help here out with the cash flow problem because DH had to take a cut in pay due to the economy and everything I am able to make with quilting is going towards replacing thread and covering DH's pay cut loss.

The economy is forcing us to rethink, cut back and trim all unnecssary expenses just to make ends meet. Kraft mac & cheese (blue box) has become one of our familys' favorite dinners, lol ;)

Joann,

Glad to hear you are all set again!

Having had to be a tight budget for years I can tell you that a bag of beans can go a long way! Thankfully my son loved bean burritos! They were cheap and filling. Another favorite was what I call our poorman's meal. I just took turkey (used to be .99 a pound) and browned it up with an onion. Made a gravy with flour and water and then poured that over rice or egg noodles. Yummy and filling. Turns out that this is one of my kids favs!

Hi Joann,

I grew up in a family of eight and had a mom who "worked" at home raising us and a dad away a lot working as an airline pilot. We had lots of mac and cheese, tuna casserole, meat-stretchers, etc. My favorite comfort food is tuna and noodles (with cream of mushroom soup)--that transports me back too many years to count!:)

About your thread in the bobbin area problem--I have found if I wind a bobbin really full, sometimes the thread will slip off the edge of the bobbin and catch on the spindle inside the assembly. I now wind bobbins about 3/4th full and do not have that happening. Just a thought.

Ran away from home, ate rice, beans, noodles, macaroni, and pancakes. I actually made it through college, with work study from the fed. and I've never taken anything for granted.. It is possible to survive, now though I like pancakes WITH blueberries and real maple syrup:P:P

Pat:cool:

Archived