Needles, one more time

I almost hate to post this but here goes.....

Ok, so I read the posts about needles and Dawn's excellent information. I realize, OMG, I've been using the WRONG needles. I have been using Groz-Becherts since the first time I needed to order them. I was not asked which machine I had when placing the order and these do not have the correct numbers on them.

Sooo, I order a gazillion MR needles from John and also received the sample Organ needles.

The first quilt I do with them is stitching fine, of course so were the G-Bs BUT I start hearing that clicking sound of a dull needle after just a few passes. I thought, well, this fabric is kind of dense so perhaps that is the issue. I end up using 4 MR's and 1 Organ in ONE quilt, geesh.

I load the next quilt and I don't even make it one full pass of doing an all-over feather fill and have to change needles AGAIN, yikes.

Well, now I've changed back to the G-Bs and so far no more clicking sound and the stitch seems ok. Go figure!

Sorry to vent, but thank you for bearing with me.

Lynda,

If your machine likes Groz-Becherts, then stick with them!!! I have been tempted to try them myself. If you want to sell your MR needles, I will buy them from you!

Its like thread, I know/hear people just don't use Rainbows or King Tut and I love these threads and so does my machine. I think these machines all have personalities of their own!!! Stick with what works!

Just a thought here on the clicking sound.... the machines are timed at the factory with the singer MR 4's. They are timed so closely that you can hear the clicking of the hook just kissing the needle as it goes up and down, so you will hear the "tick, tick, tick" of the needle each time it goes into the hook assembly.

Are you sure it is not this sound and that you have a dull needle. That is just way too much changing during a quilt. I can quilt several quilts before changing needles and all I use are the singer mr's. If it is a dull needle, you should see pulling of the fabric threads or batting being pushed through the backing. I would think that the sound you are hearing is just the hook touching the needle and this is normal.

Sorry your Machine doesn't like the Organ Needles. I am still on my first needle after 17 Quilts now, and she is still going strong, but....I am doing a Batik today, so I will use a new needle. I had used a GB at one point and heard that clicking sound, so i removed it promptly, but these Organ needles are a okay for my machine. No timing necessary

Thank you all for the advice.

Patty, thread is also being pulled to the back so I'm pretty sure it is dull needles. Too bad, I liked the idea of smaller holes with the Organ needles.

Beth, I'll let you know if I decide to give up on the MR needles. Thank you for the offer.

Another thing I noticed while cleaning between quilts, my foot was actually hitting the base plate so I raised it so it sits on a business card as described in the book. I doubt that had anything to do with needle wear though.

You all have a great day.

Boy,

You'd think something as straightforward as a needle wouldn't be so complicated, huh?

Patty is on the money regarding using different needles in your APQS machine in relation to the timing issue. After the email conversations with Groz-Beckert's US sales director, we agree that the variable is most likely due to slight variations in timing.

APQS times each machine individually. It makes me think of babies being born...no two are alike, each with a different fingerprint! Since we time each one to a specific size and brand of needle, and they are timed "by hand" by one of our trained craftspeople, there is some latitude with the timing.

If you experience difficulty with a needle other than the MRs that APQS sells, you may just need to tweak your timing slightly to accommodate the difference in the GB needle vs. the MRs. The needle difference is also slight, but since the machines are timed by human hands, that slight variance can mean the difference between your machine "liking" only MR needles and being able to use other brands.

As was earlier mentioned, since we time each machine to MRs, that is the easiest way to ensure that your machine is sewing properly. If you want to try other products, that's fine; just be aware you may need to change the timing from its "factory setting" to make the other needles work properly.

It's kind of like customizing software from the factory install on your computer. If you ever install a new software program, the install program gives you choices for installation...recommended, express, and custom. Often if you click on the "custom" installation you'll receive a warning that only individuals familiar with the "inner workings" of the program should make changes--basically be aware of what you're changing and how it could affect your other settings.

It really helps us in the factory to know during a service call if a customer has made any after-market changes to the machine; then we can diagnose and troubleshoot much easier.

We certainly want your machine to operate the best it possibly can. That's why we'd love it if you tell us about new products or gadgets you're using that seem to make your quilting easier. If it is something more and more quilters are using, then if we can test it at the factory we can be confident in not only giving it our own "thumbs up" but also we'll be able to offer better tech support if we have first-hand knowledge of it.

Use whatever makes your machine work the best for YOU. Just give us a heads-up if it's something different than came with your machine, so we can give you the best service we possibly can:)

Archived