Hopping foot 2003 Millie

PeggyB

Okay, since everyone seems to be tight lipped - leave it to me to jump in here. I read your post earlier today....I was just waiting and waiting for someone with authority to speak up.

My Millie is a 2004 and it had a foot like what you are talking about. I hated it. I hit rulers all the time. Finally, I had my machine overhauled this spring and had them change the foot to the one that is full (I don't know what you call it, but we will refer to it as a regular hopping foot).

You can change it yourself, but I don't know that you would want to. I think you have to remove the bobbin assembly to be able to insert the post of the hopping foot up into the machine.

Sorry I can't help you more. But I would contact APQS - Amy (the best!!) and talk to her about it.

Hi Peggy,

Mary Beth is on the money when it comes to the taller foot being much easier to use with rulers!

That said, I will admit that for many years my machine had the foot you are now talking about. I did lots and lots of ruler work with it, but only with an extended base, grips on the bottom of the rulers (sandpaper dots) and careful patience, patience, patience. I eventually nearly wore that foot into a triangle shape from so much rubbing!

You can switch the hopping foot out, and it does involve removing the hook assembly so that the foot's long shaft can drop down out of the machine. You insert the new foot, then put the hook back and re-time the machine. While we have had handy customers complete the switch, whether you feel comfortable doing so is strictly up to you.

As an alternative while you decide what to do, you can still purchase a plastic adapter ring that snaps onto the foot you have, which gives it that quarter-inch height (but makes the foot closer to 5/8" across rather than 1/2") for ruler work.

Give us a call and we can go over the options!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Tammy how are you.

Peggy, Yes you can get the little add on foot that goes with your present foot, but you'd be better off replacing it with the newer hopping ruler foot. I bought one of those add on foots and used it once and never used it again. As far as I'm concerned they should make them into earrings as a joke. I found that mine was pretty much worthless. When I put on the thin pressure foot it wiggle around a lot and I had a hard time getting it on the foot. I ended up taking the throat plate off to get it on. What a pain in the keyster. Regards, zeke.................

Archived